Old-style MC2100 automatic choke question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Old-style MC2100 automatic choke question

<font color="red">Alrighty... FINALLY!</font> got my Scrambler - that I swapped engines (258->258) & converted to auto tranny (T-5 -> TF999) - up-n-running. (Took 'bout a year... w/ many big, higher-priority projects interrupting/delaying completion.) FWIW, converting to AT was in deference to my wife...[img]images/graemlins/owned1.gif[/img] now she can drive one of the many in our Rupert fleet... (and thus makes future acquisitions more palatable [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] ).

The 'new' engine also got an MC2100 upgrade. [img]images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] (Fabbing kickdown linkage was a big time-consumer, but the end product looks clean and realtively stock... therefore seemingly worth the effort.)

Unfortunately, I did not pay very close attention to the MC2100 I picked up off eBay... it must be an fairly ancient one...[img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img] - not having the PVC outlet on the rear, nor the port on the left front of the carb. ('Fixed' the former challenge by fabbing a port w/ barb fitting screwed into a hole drilled in the carb adapter; and the latter by punching out a plug on the right front and press fitting a tube donated by 'parts BBD'. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Time consuming, but effective. [img]images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img] )

Final challenge is the automatic choke: it's not electrically-operated, but rather the type that connects to a heat tube coming up from manifold. Trouble is, the manifold is NOT so ancient and does not have any holes for a little heat tube.

Sooo..., can I simply drill a hole in the exhaust manifold... or ain't it that easy to do? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] Are a few metal shavings in the exhaust manifold an issue?

Or, am I just better off swapping on an electric choke? Can I adapt one from a BBD [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] (plenty of them laying around the garage... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

Many thanks aforehand...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: Old-style MC2100 automatic choke question

I'm pretty sure you can pick up an electric choke from Autozone or the similar for around $30 or less. I've never swapped one out but looking at my carb I can't imagine its very hard to swap chokes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
converting to AT was in deference to my wife...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand that one completely. Much to the dismay of both my children... Grumpy (my Scrambler) is an automatic. While it may be a seldom and rare occasion... the wife will drive it making it priceless in certain conditions.

[img]images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img] Always good to know that another Scrambler is becoming road worthy. [img]images/graemlins/applause.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
The 'new' engine also got an MC2100 upgrade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess that I'm already on record as not a fan of the MC2100. But it is a simple carb that is likely better suited for a 258 than all those 304s that they came on. So rock on [img]images/graemlins/gituar.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Or, am I just better off swapping on an electric choke? Can I adapt one from a BBD

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like the trick to me.

I have a collection of junk carbs, just a few, and will give that idea a review. Surely there is a way, if I hit on something will post it up.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]
Guess that I'm already on record as not a fan of the MC2100. But it is a simple carb that is likely better suited for a 258 than all those 304s that they came on. So rock on [img]images/graemlins/gituar.gif[/img]
Dale

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking the 2100 is just going to be an interim solution until I get relocated, properly set-up in a real shop (as opposed to my driveway [img]images/graemlins/bag.gif[/img] ) and organized... [img]images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img] Then, I believe I'll delve into installing a 4.0L HO head w/ the EFI. (Which is why I did not go out and buy a 'new' MC2100 today when I realized the shortfalls of the 2100 I mod'd today...)

For now, we'll make-do w/ the MC2100.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Way Outta Control

If you drill into the ex manfold and run it to the carb you'll have EGR - not desirable.
Notice the small holes you've seen on exhaust manifolds do not go into the exhaust stream. There's a big blind cavity in the manifold - called a choke stove - it heats air, then the carb sucks a little up into the carb for heating the choke coil.

You can make your own choke stove - simply wrap a length of tube around the exhaust manifold or even the exhaust pipe underneath where it won't show - and will gather heat. Leave one end slightly open - a tiny hole, hook the other end to the carb. You need a slight draft to get the hot air to flow - that's why the tiny hole.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 05:34 AM
muddave

I would like to here how you did the Kickdown linkage and pics if you can. I am getting ready to do the same. Any heads up would be great. David
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Mud in my Veins

FWIW, my 2100 (stock) didn't have the PCV fitting and the adapter is drilled/tapped like you described (also stock)...so I'd say no probs there.

Also, the electric choke swap is pretty simple (it looks like and fits into the same socket the thermal does....just need a 12V source...many are already wired) or skip it and go "total control"...*manual* (about $10 from AutoZoo)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:20 AM

is there a reason not to go with a manual choke? i'm not sure what virginia winters are like, but over the past few months i've found the manual choke was the best thing i did to my 2100...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 09:41 AM

One thing I found out last week end was the MC2100 electric choke move in the opposite direction a Carter Carb moved so you might just want to double check the motion of the spring.

ALso have you thought about how your going to hook up the electric wiring? Do you want to add more electrical load onto your ignition switch or run it into a oil pressure switch.??
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode