Old-style MC2100 automatic choke question - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 11:53 AM

Re: Old-style MC2100 automatic choke question

The bbd electric choke rotated in the wrong direction compared to the mc2100 I had. I simply pried the spring out of the electric choke housing and reversed it. I believe I also had to bend the little metal arm that goes onto the end of the choke shaft so that it would engage the spring.

I ended up being dissatisfied with the electric choke, as it seemed to come on so fast. If I stopped for gas in -20 weather, the idle speed was bumped back up. Rather than fiddle with it furtherto make it work right, I installed a manual choke kit. It seemed like when I set the choke to close fully in cold weather, the choke closed too fast upon short cool downs. That's my experience.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right Galen... and I will - as soon as I figure out why my computer can no longer read the memory card in my high-priced Vivitar digicam (all of $20.00 @ Wally World). [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bag.gif[/img]

MudDave: I'm glad to help in any way I can... I'll get some pics to you as soon as I can.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, my 2100 (stock) didn't have the PCV fitting and the adapter is drilled/tapped like you described (also stock)...so I'd say no probs there.
Also, the electric choke swap is pretty simple (it looks like and fits into the same socket the thermal does....just need a 12V source...many are already wired) or skip it and go "total control"...*manual* (about $10 from AutoZoo)

[/ QUOTE ]

Caver: Dang... here I was feeling proud of myself coming up w/ my novel 'workaround'... guess I'm not as original as I thought... [img]images/graemlins/bag.gif[/img]

I ended up modding for an electric choke (using parts from a newer MC2150 [1.21 model]), AND (based on enlightening comments y'all have made) installed a spare cable (hanging in parts locker awaiting just such a use [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) for manual operation in case the electric is unsatisfactory. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] (Note: Both will not be operational at same time.) VA winters not so bad, but if I remember accurately, the Ohio 'uns are going to be a bit more of a challenge.

[ QUOTE ]
ALso have you thought about how your going to hook up the electric wiring? Do you want to add more electrical load onto your ignition switch or run it into a oil pressure switch.??

[/ QUOTE ]

Will an oil pressure gauge give off enough juice to operate the choke? Since I am running a mechanical gauge, I can just 'T' off the connection w/ the electric sender I removed.

Are there any other ideas for the choke's power source?

Thanks all for suggestions/recommendations. Stay tuned for pics.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 04:58 AM

No you cant use the the old oil pressure sender for the gauge. There is a neat oil pressure switch you can put into a "T" connector.

Here is how the stock one is set up on a 258:

It's the one with the 2 red wires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode