o/t how to get a title quicker? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

o/t how to get a title quicker?

I'm in the process of selling my CJ, and realized that I can't find my title anywhere. I cannot afford to wait the 3 months or whatever that the state will take if i apply for a duplicate title. Does anybody know of a service that will expedite this for me? I used an expediting place when I got my passport a year or so ago, but haven't seen anything like that for vehicle titles. Anybody?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 06:26 PM

Re: o/t how to get a title quicker?

3 months? Wow. I can get one in 20 minutes including drivetime here in Ohio. (and no I can't get one for you lol)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Can't Get Enough

Unfortunately, Illinois is not one of the states where you can get a replacement title at the DMV office. They have to send off to Springfield for it....sigh. PLUS, a lost title replacement costs the same as a title transfer......$78.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Skip

Go to DMV get a release of interest form. It has a check box for lost title. Fill it out get it noterized. There are lines for current owner and new owner. In Washington state that's as good as having the title. Other than that apply for the title ASAP and sell it title pending. When you go to DMV you should get a receipt that you can show potential buyers. Be prepaired to sell it for less or not get all your money until you can give them a signed title
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:21 PM

[img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]again...$78????
$6 for a duplicate for lost title here.

Maybe it's too easy here. Since I buy probally at least ten cars every working weekday I have seen a trend. I bet about 20% of the people have lost theirs and had to go get a duplicate.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 08:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

yep, 78.00 in IL.....3.00 in AZ. 78.00 per year registration in IL, 28.00 for 2 yrs in AZ
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2005, 10:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well Indiana is somewhere in the middle... but if you can prove it's your junk, like a bill of sale or the current registration that doesn't have a lien against it, you can get a new title in a few minutes at the DMV. Sometimes you might have to go to your local Police and have them fill out some paperwork. Seems like how it should be.

So what's the deal with Il?

Dale
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Can't Get Enough

IL is just not set up to do the printed title from the dmv office thing. you have to go to the dmv, fill out paperwork (by hand) and have them send of to springfield for the title....usually takes 3 weeks or so. it's the same with new license plates, fill out paperwork and wait for springfield to mail them to ya. as for the cost, i suspect it's directly related to the political machine in chicago. the whole system seems to be set up to keep the most politically connected people working as possible. it's called patronage and IL is the king of that system.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:32 AM

IL's DMV just sucks. I went to go get my MI title for my truck, took maybe 5 min. in the dmv, no line, the lady did all the "paperwork" on the computer and i was out of there with a set of new plates and the title got to my house in a couple days. In IL it take a couple hours at the dmv getting though all the lines and filling out paperwork, then if your lucky they have new plates at the dmv, otherwise they give you a temp, then it's a couple months to get a friggin title mailed to you. Back when i rolled my old yj we bought it in september and didn't get the title till febuary.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 12:21 AM
Official Historian

Last year I went to antique plates on my Dodge and this year will with the jeep as well. One time fee of $9.75 vs. $30 a year and they never expire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode