Off Roading Forums banner

Tilt Column Fix

361 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  OlllllllOCJ 
#1 ·
I pruned down the pictures a bit, but I also added exploded parts pages at the end.

If it still seems too large it can be split up into two or three pages. I would rather not - but can.

I know some of the pictures are not very clear and that is because they are flash shots that were not steady. I will try to replace some of them.

Every picture is linked to a larger version, just click on it.

Give another look please.

Tilt Column Fix

Any and all suggestions will be considered.

Thanks,

Dale

This started as a PM to someone that needs to clean out their box (or maybe LEVE just doesn't want any new PMs).

See less See more
#3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Huhhhhhhhhh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it said words to the effect that your inbox was full!

Don't matter, please take a look at the link and provide input as you see fit.

Everyone else is welcome to comment as they see fit also, don't dwell too much on the pictures unless they detract from the goal of fixing a tilt column.

Better yet would be something that I didn't mention that is important in the procedure.

It's not exactly easy... but it's not hard either. Would like to provide information for someone that just doesn't know how.

Dale

Edit:
Here's what it says:
"This user has exceeded their private message quota and may not receive any new private messages."

#4 ·
Dale, Used your page and the Chevy page that LEVE put up when this all started. Was able to use the general instructions from both yesterday on my 88 YJ with Cruise...There are some differences, but they are minor, until you get to the part about removing the lower tilt assmebly, mine has something at the top of the tilt area that would NOT let go...could't figure out what it was (also snapped of a 8-32 bolt flush on one of the tilt pins...fortunately the pin was out just far enough to grab it with some channel locks...). Without being able to remove the lower tilt assembly I was able to stand on my head or crawl under the front seat enough to get to 3 of the loose rev-torx bolts...pulled them, slathered them in Loc-Tite and put it all back together. Once I had it all together I started all the checks...turn signal leaver moved and clicked, key would move in all the right detents, hazard switch clicked on and off. So I reconnected the battery to check the lights and NOTHING...no turn signals, no hazards, no key buzzer,no horn, no start! ACK! Now I've really FUBARED my Jeep...Oh yea...gotta re-connect the plug down under the dash...

Thanks for an excellent write up. Now my stearing wheel is not all wiggly-jiggly.

I snapped some high res shots while doing mine, if you would like I can email them to you and you can use them if you like.

#5 ·
[ QUOTE ]
until you get to the part about removing the lower tilt assmebly, mine has something at the top of the tilt area that would NOT let go...could't figure out what it was

[/ QUOTE ]

No real reason to take the lower housing out... so I'm guessing that you couldn't get the two halves apart. Just unlock the tilt and push down as if you are moving the steering wheel down.

You are bound to be a better photographer than I so would be happy to have your pictures. dclark@epiccomputer.com

Thanks,

Dale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.