Passing of board member - Ed (ERH_IN_WI) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Passing of board member - Ed (ERH_IN_WI)

I just recieved a call at 4:00am that Ed was killed in a roll over accident in his jeep on his way here. It happen on hwy 53 in Washbourn County. Thats all they would tell me so far. I am goping to be heading up that way this morning later on. Sorry everyone is finding out this way but I do not know how else to get ahold of everyone. I will let you know as soon as I find out more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:08 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Ed (ERH_IN_WI) (Chief no fun)

thats rough [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

i cant say i know Ed really, but do pass condolences on to his family from us here on the BBS.

pass any details if you got them

our thoughts/prayers/wishes are with his family
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:42 AM

That's a bummer, Mike. Thanks for keeping us informed and passing along our condolences.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Old Hand

Sorry to hear that Mike. I was looking forward to seeing him at the bash again this year.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:20 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

My prayers go out to his family and friends. I've only met him at the bash and it was a pleasure. This is truely a sad day.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:54 AM
Way Outta Control

Will by prayin' for his family.

Life is fleetin' and you never know when it's over and your time has come...

Another warning to the rest of us... Get those Roll Cages installed, and good working seat belts. They may not help in all cases but they will help in most...

Last year April, this year Ed...

2005 Is off to a very sad beginning. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

So far... this is all I can find on the accident:[ QUOTE ]
The Wisconsin State Patrol is investigating a one-vehicle rollover accident that killed one person and sent two others to area hospitals.

The accident occurred about 10:20 p.m. just north of the Washburn-Douglas County line on U.S. Highway 53.

[/ QUOTE ]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:42 AM

I'm sorry to hear that, ed was a great guy and will be missed at the bash for sure.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Can't Get Enough

Sorry to hear about Ed. His family will be in our prayers.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 04:28 PM
BarrelRolls_Mom

Re: Passing of board member - Ed (ERH_IN_WI)

This is such sad news. Ed was always so pleasant and helpful. Remember the last day of the bash, Joel (Mav750), when he helped us get home? A good honest guy. Adding my prayers. Sarah (Jeeper99xj's/Andy's mom)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Re: Passing of board member - Ed (ERH_IN_WI)

He never wanted a wake or anything but his brother and I decide that that we were going to fuss over him a little by setting up a wake for This Sat from 11AM till 4PM with the funeral starting at 4PM. The Department of Correction we be giving him an Honer Guard. This will take place at the POCKAT FUNERAL HOME at 511 1st St, Shell Lake, WI 54871. All Ed had for Family left was his brother Chuck, and his god daughter Caslin.

Well yeasterday was one of the longest days of my life. After I recieved the call I started digging through all his stuff that was here at our house trying to find something that had his brother from Illinois info on it. An hour or so later and several old number I recieved a call from work that the police made entery into his house up north and found the info. They said his brother would be up about at about 10:00AM.

By that time The wife and I decide that she would go to work that day and take Caslin to daycare for. Whe we got her up we just told her that Uncle Ed was not able to come down to take here to Cabelas today and that I was going to go up and check on him. (We are going to try to explain it to her tonight.)

I then headed up to his house. I got there about 9:00. When I walked I went over to the living room were he kept his computer. As I was sitting down his Yahoo mail alert went off. It was a reply to what I had writen on our Club email list that morning. It hit me pretty hard then. As I sat there I noticed 2 new shirts sitting on the couch. One was out of the rapper as if to check the size and the other was still in plastic. Both were new official JEEP dress shirts.

Once his Brother arrived we headed for the funral home. They gave us a runaround because there was no funeral director on, and would not be till late afternoon. We then left there and went to impound to see the jeep. I could tell that it went end over end and had hit several good sized trees. The ARB BULL BAR and winch were smashed in pretty well. The Rear Tire Carrier was bent into the the tailgate at about a 45 Degree angel. The Poison Spyder Cage that we installed 2 weeks ago was not bent at all, but the windsheild was bent into it pretty well. The passenger side air bag went off but the driveside did not. His soft to was shredded into many many peices. The two passenger side tires were flat. It just did not make sence. The body all in all did not look anywere near as bad as ours did.

After leaving there we went to the crash seen. It is on the same hyw but 30 miles down from were we rolled. The section is a strait 4 lane. You could see his tracks even with the inch of snow that was there easly. The tracks went off the hwy at a pretty good angel, right between two signs that were about 30 yards apart. They immeadiatly start going down a steep grade which dropped about 30 vertical feet in about 15 yards. Then there was a flat spot about the width of a vehicle. Then the grade dropped about another 30 to 40 feet. Once he hit that flat spot the tracks stop. But there are about 6 trees all around 6"s around that are broken off going down the rest of the hill. Two of these were broken off fifteen feet off the ground. Then at the bottom of the hill you could see were the jeep had landed and there were fresh paint marks on seveal trees. When we got down there his brother and I were standing in that spot quite for for about a minut. then one of us stepped to the side. We both noticed that the tracks that were now there in the fresh snow were bright red. His brother started swaring and kicking the snow which showed an are several feet round of blood. We stayed there about a half hour just milling around pick up misselaneaus thing from his jeep.

From there we went to the police station to see if we could see the accident report. By the way the track vear so sharply off the road it looks as if he was trying to avoid hitting something. Alls were could get at that time was a copy of the press release. It basicly said that he was killed in a one vehicle accident after being ejected from the vehical, and that the sherifs department was looking into it. ( I have never seen Ed drive with out putting his seatbelt on. )

From there we went to a different funeral home and aranged for Ed to be brought there, and set up the Funeral. He never wanted a wake or anything but his brother and I decide that that we were going to fuss over him a little buy setting up a wake for This Sat at 11AM till 4PM with the funeral starting at 4PM. The Department of Correction we be giving him and Honer Guard. This will take place at the POCKAT FUNERAL HOME at 511 1st St, Shell Lake, WI 54871. All Ed had for Family left was his brother Chuck, and his god daughter Caslin.

From there we went back to his house to pick out Clothing We picked his uniform.

Then it was time for the long ride home and to start making calls to those that I could think of and had there numbers.

Sorry that this is so long and goes into so much but I needed to say it. I just can not believe that he is gone. He had was opinionated and like to start fires to get poeple motivated into doing something. He did not care which side they were on as long as they were doing something or talking about it. He always said that he did not care what poeple thought about him but yet would go out of his way to help anyone that needed it friend or not. He loved being outside the weather did not matter as long as he was out there doing something. His passion for many years was his motorcycles but over the last 4years it was his jeep. He went from not being sure how to put it into 4WD to just having a 4to1 Low Rang kit and new High pinion frontend installed last week. He even did most all of the work putting in the 6" Fabtec kit this last summer. His biggest dream over that last few years was to see a state operated OHV area opened. For the summer we had the Spring Bash, Moab, Tellico, Gilbert Minn, and Castan Iowa planned as for sures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode