Long Arm Suspension, brainstorming............... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Long Arm Suspension, brainstorming...............

so i was pondering the beauty and mystery that is a long arm suspension.....and i had a few ideas......heres one of them:

since i'd like to mke a non-shovel like skid plate while i'm at it, what would be the drawback/benefits of attaching the suspension links to the skid plate?

PROS:
+that i could make it geometrically friendlier and thus Uber-twisty and better handling on the road,
+It might be a little easier to adapt to the skid plate rather than the frame since i'm making a new one anyways.
+no low hanging link mounting points like stock jeep

CONS:
+ i'd have to take the suspension apart when i want to take my skid plate off.....boogers! this is the problem!

i could also add a tube-steel cross member (for mounting links on) right behind the skid plate, just below the t-case output, but then i worry about interfering with the t-case if i need to pull it out....if i go too far back then i think I have the drive shaft in the way (havent looked just yet, its dark cold and wet out)

anywhooooo, share some thoughts. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:07 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: Long Arm Suspension, brainstorming...............

The Rubicon Express mounts the long arms to a big heavy skid plate that replaces the shovel. It's a 5 piece affair. The center section removes to give access to the T-case.
But, if you need to remove the tranny t-case, the whole thing has to come off, leaving the long arms hanging. It's really not that much worse to remove the long arm ends if you had to, just the Heim joints bolts.
Have a look at their website for a picture of the skid plate.
That stock skid/shovel needs to go anyway -- they bend up really easy.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Long Arm Suspension, brainstorming............

oh ok....i wasnt sure if it'd cause an issue....i guess it wouldnt be too bad unless the suspension was flexed significantly on the trail.

I didnt know th RE mounted to the plate...i thought they had seperate mounting point that attached first, then you atttach the skid to those so you could remove the skid w/o taking apart susp.

thanks for the input!

as it sits now i close on the house in March.....so hopefully i have a welder by then!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode