Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Roof racks - love 'em or hate 'em? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/203468-roof-racks-love-em-hate-em.html)

wbcarver 01-11-2005 10:30 AM

Roof racks - love \'em or hate \'em?

I am thinking about trying it to see if I like it.

Of roof racks in general - what do you all think of them?

Tree catchers - fuel mileage suckers, COG raisers, the bane of all Jeep existance?
Or
Greatest thing since centre consoles for adding carrying room to a SWB Jeep?

I run a lot of tight trails and I know I am going to hate dealing with all the trees getting snagged in it, but it sure would be nice on long trips to pile all my crap on the rack and still have room in the Jeep to sit and be able to see to change lanes etc.

What do you all think?

Thanks for your input,

upalittle 01-11-2005 11:29 AM

Re: Roof racks - love \'em or hate \'em?

I can't speak for all brands, but the Wilderness is quick to put on and off. Great for hauling, not heavy enough to greatly affect COG, not made for tight trails. Only complaint I have is that my Jeep won't fit in my garage (7'X 9') with the rack on. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

lomodyj 01-11-2005 11:56 AM

'Rount heya they tend to get mangleded a lot...

Trails like we see at Crackers Neck will tear up a roof rack...and if you go cheap and mount it directly to the fiberglass top you'll bugger the top up too...Look at Jarret's on his XJ some time...

I know someone who is selling an M-416 trailer...would look cool behind the Beast...oh yea, you already have a trailer...what do you need a roof rack for???

wbcarver 01-11-2005 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'Rount heya they tend to get mangleded a lot...

Trails like we see at Crackers Neck will tear up a roof rack...and if you go cheap and mount it directly to the fiberglass top you'll bugger the top up too...Look at Jarret's on his XJ some time...

I know someone who is selling an M-416 trailer...would look cool behind the Beast...oh yea, you already have a trailer...what do you need a roof rack for???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep - got a trailer - which you haven't seen since the SOA.
And it DOES look cool behind the Beast
[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

M416 Trailer

Yeah - I know "YMMV"
[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Roof rack is for (maybe) my Mall Crawler CJ which only gets light trail duty anyway, but is the one that might go on longer road trips.

Quick mounts would go a long way toward making this thing usable too.

westville 01-11-2005 02:49 PM

I have the Warrior perm. mount safari rack. Quite useful for everything (ladders, bikes, lawnmowers). But not a quick release model (it's a few years old). I even climb on top of it once and while to work on my tan.

No garage for mine either - parking garages too.

I would say I love em.

mbalbritton 01-12-2005 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Roof rack is for (maybe) my Mall Crawler CJ which only gets light trail duty anyway, but is the one that might go on longer road trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh OK, you had me confused and worried for a bit.... I was wondering if you had forgot that you had a trailer for the Beast.

not answering you question, but a thought at another option... I don't know the answer to this and that's why I'm asking, but Is there a way to make a tall hitch for the Green CJ to use the trailer behind it? Or is that a bad idea?

wbcarver 01-13-2005 09:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way to make a tall hitch for the Green CJ to use the trailer behind it? Or is that a bad idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose so, but it would be way too high for the Green Jeep.
Have to be a funky deal. Would rather get another little trailer for the Green Jeep.