Puegot trans to AX15 swap?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Puegot trans to AX15 swap??

Friend of mine just blew his Puegot trans out of the YJ , again . He's got a buddy with an AX15 cheap, is there a way to swap it out ? Hate the new search , couldn't get any decent hits that way . What other options are there for decent manual transmissions anyway? Seems like all the solutionns are just a bomb waiting to blow...
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:30 PM

Re: Puegot trans to AX15 swap??

I have swapped in a Cherokee AX-15 into my '88. Pretty easy. I needed several brackets:T/C shifter, tranny shifter. Your skid plate may need to have two holes drilled for the AX-15. You also need a 23 spline T/C input shaft. I was able to get the entire 231 T/C for an additional $100 when I bought my AX-15 for $350. Also, if this is a XJ 231, you will need to redrill your T/C holes on the back of the tranny. Not a big deal. On Cherokees, they are at a 23 degree rotation, where the Wranglers are 13 degrees. Basically, you need to be able to rotate the T/C 10 degrees clock-wise. I made a template and hand drilled the new holes. I am sure glad I made the swap.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Wow, good info . Never knew they used the same transmissions. What about using an AX15 from a newer TJ?? I believe that's where the donor trans came from originally...
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:42 PM

If the AX-15 was out of a TJ the clocking should be correct. You will still need the 23 spline input for the T/C. Your skid plate may also need to be drilled as well.

One advantage to one out of a TJ should be an external slave cylinder. Hopefully you have all of the brackets/shifters.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ok, the input shaft shouldn't be too hard to acquire. So, you are saying we'll also need the brackets and shifters out of the TJ as well ?
Sarge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 12:13 AM

My Peugot shifter wouldn't fit my XJ AX15, so I had to make another trip to the JY. It was kinda hard convincing them to separate one from a tranny. The XJ shifter was a little long, and the wrong angles. I have seen some on ebay in the last few months. I also had to modify the T/C shifter (where it bolted to the Peugot) to make it fit the AX15. I don't know about the TJ tranny though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2005, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks,appreciate the info . This is starting to sound like no fun at all . Bad part is, looks like I'll end up doing most of the work since these guys aren't "wrench friendly". Now I just gotta find out if a '90 V6 Dodge Dakota tcase will fit another mechanically challenged friend's '92 V8 Dakota that puked it's tcase the other day . To top it off, the owner has recently been disabled, no workcomp or disability yet and bills are killing him more than his injuries...
Sarge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode