Dura Don't Spark - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Dura Don\'t Spark

Well most of you here seem to have had a Dura Don't Spark but I never had until today.

Under the heading of "Better to be Lucky than Good"....

I was out in the Scrambler today, hardware store, got gas and then the grocery. Ran fine. Parked in the middle of the driveway to get stuff out then went back a bit later to move it out of the way. Would not start no way no how.

Hooked up a timing light and it didn't blink. Checked the red wire to the coil and was about 9V with the key on and not quite 12V cranking. Checked the other side of the coil and it was 0V never changing.

Gave it up right there and plugged in a different Dura Spark, lit up as soon as I hit the key.

At least it was sitting twenty feet from a spare. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

But why in the world after all these years did that Dura Spark fall over dead? Oh well hope I can go out quickly too.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 07:56 PM

Re: Dura Don\'t Spark

You made the Jeep Gods angry.

Sneak some of this in next time

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Your pics don't seem to work... but got the drift from looking at the pic names.

It already has a TFI Coil and the Big Ford Cap. Will do the rest of the TFI/HEI Hybrid in time. The Carter [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] needs some attention too. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm thinking about it.... yeah I'm slow. [img]images/graemlins/codger.gif[/img]

The following page is on my Server:

<u>Prestolite to Duraspark Distributor Swap</u>

Thanks,

Dale

Edit: Pics work now... Interesting Logo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 08:45 PM

They are funny devices. I bet if you plug it in a week from now it will work again. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I only opened 1 and found a burnt resistor.

Even this one worked later:
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
They are funny devices. I bet if you plug it in a week from now it will work again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't surprise me too much.

I also thought about the nasty corroded connections. The spare I plugged in looked worse than the original, but it worked and swapping back the other one didn't.

Don't matter much. It looks spiffy hanging from the brake lines by a piece of wire too. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I still have a couple more if that one dies.

Dale
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 09:40 PM

Is there a good chemical concoction that is good for removing the green corrosion of the plugs and terminals?

I've used backing soda on my battery terminals but always used a brass brush on the terminals.

The problem I found is if I use a wire wheel or gring the ccorrosion off then you remove most of the nickel plating and the terminal will corrode much faster than before.

I've read were the nickel plating actually developes a light oxide coating that prevents further oxidation and that it has very low mechanical durability so a light rubbing will break the oxide coating and allow a good electrical connection. Hovever any break in the nickel plating will allow corrosion to develop underneath the plating and then the terminal begins to fall apart.

I wonder if there was some simple chemical means of cleaning or renewing the nickel plating.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Well as one can see from your pictures above the connections are down inside the plastic making anything short of a very small wire brush impractical.

If I weren't so darn lazy I would have cleaned the connectors with baking soda and then covered them with dielectric grease. But I just plugged the darn thing in crud and all.

As for the nickle plating, baking soda won't hurt it or will it? CocaCola works well on battery posts, might try that (just wash off the sticky). Maybe someone will jump in with a better idea.

Dale
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Way Outta Control

""""But why in the world after all these years did that Dura Spark fall over dead? Oh well hope I can go out quickly too.""""

You answered you own question --

""""It already has a TFI Coil""""

The TFI coil has a lower primary resistance, thereby causing primary current to be higher -- through the coil primary and the module.

Plus -- Ford modules "like" to do that.

But yours was unusual - usually it's when you are in a big hurry, dressed up, no tools, no spare, 100 miles from anything, and the weather is terrible! Murphy (famous for his Law) would roll over in his grave if he knew.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
But yours was unusual - usually it's when you are in a big hurry, dressed up, no tools, no spare, 100 miles from anything, and the weather is terrible! Murphy (famous for his Law) would roll over in his grave if he knew.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] Always better to be lucky than good. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Heck I shut it off in the driveway, then it wouldn't start a few minutes later.

I always enjoy teasing Mr. Murphy. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Also enjoy being a bad example. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

While I can't dispute your logic about the cause RRich. My CJ-7 has been running exactly the same for many more miles and hours. And the Yellow CJ-7 is running a full voltage coil (no resistor) with every thing else stock for the past 4 years. Both with a Dura Spark (damn old ones at that).

It will go Hybrid sooner or later, guess that should eliminate future failures.

How about connector cleaning?? Need to make some use of this thread (sorry for being wasteful).

Taz likes using baking soda, maybe he will toss in $0.02?

Dale
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 08:07 PM

John I love the chevy/ford/amc logo. Kinda hits home for us AMC jeep owners that never know where to get a part untill you found out what bin they got it out of that day. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The modified module is awesome too. Does it work better using the GM module? And while I can almost tell from the pics............do you have a wiring diagram? And any other bits and pcs you would like to add about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode