transmission swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:05 PM
1990wrangler

transmission swap

i have a 1990 Wrangler with 258 and the AX15 5 speed transmission. The Ax15 is getting hard to change from 2 to 3rd gears. i have heard it is tore up. i have come across another 258 and peugot transmission out of a 1988 wrangler.. will the transmissions interchange? or can they be swapped?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:23 PM

Re: transmission swap

you dont want that peugot transmission .........they are crap..most guys/gals with older wranglers get the ax15 to replace thiers.......look at rebuilding it....im sure there are guy/gals on here that have rebuilt one..... [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 03:24 PM
1990wrangler

i know they are junk, just curious to know if they would work, so i culd drive my jeep while the other is getting built/ rebuilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 03:43 PM

That 88 will have an internal slave cylinder, does yours? If not it will take a little to get it plumbed up. I think you will need to change out the bell housings as well to this.
But the biggest issue it the output shaft on the BA/10 is 21 spline and the AX15 has a 23 spline output, SSOOOOOOO that means you will need to either change out the input to your transfer case or change out the transfer case with the one from behind the BA/10 [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]

I pulled a BA/10 out of my Jeep and gave it away, it was still working good at the time, but I didn't want to wait till it went out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 04:00 PM
1990wrangler

well i also have the transfer case from the 1988, so that means it would be easiest to bolt the transfer case, to the transmission and it should work, correct? i was told there was no way it would work. but couldn't figure out why, since it came out of a 88 wrangler with the same motor as i have..... i do not care how long it lasts, just as long as it lasts long enough to get my Ax15 built....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 05:20 PM

Well if you have the bell housing for the BA/10 and the slave cylinder, as well as the transfer case, then I guess it will work, can't think of any other reason why not. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode