Twas the night before the Jeep Jamboree.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Twas the night before the Jeep Jamboree..

A few days ago I posted pics of my completed Jeep and the Minnesota Jeep Jamboree. I thought I'd share my "getting there" story for you.

My CJ was apart for more than two years, all new everything from axles/gears, body, engine, suspension, etc. I had my heart set on this jamboree, not to mention my wallet, 3 people at $275 a person, plus lodging, etc. ouch!

So I decide to take Wednesday off of work (we leave thursday morning). I have a list of things to get done on my not quite done/newly completed Jeep. With only 40 miles on the engine since rebuild, etc. I wanted to change all fluids, mount the winch, install my soft top, double check bolts, etc. Not bad for a days work before a jamboree.

First thing Wednesday, took my truck and new "used" trailer to the local tire shop. My truck had 60,000 on it at the time and the tires where original.. 8 tires.. truck and trailer.. remember this later..

Ok.. the night went well, Jeep is ready for the trailer, it's only 1am, we leave at 6am. Wait.. need gas, lets go for a ride. My friend Steve is still over, we hop in the Jeep and it's running awesome! Get to the gas station, Steve yells, hey.. your leaking oil.. yes we are... the oil drain plug stripped and is leaking like crazy at the gas pump. hop in the beast, it won't start.. but not a battery, something different.... oh great (I'm calmed down now, I said a lot more than that!).. it won't shift.. climb underneath, the linkage popped out of the auto tranny.. that rubber gromet, can't get it to pop back in. Oh yeah... that 3" exhaust is hot when you grab it, trying to get leverage to pull down on the linkage. Thats it.. call the wife.. 8 attempts, she finally wakes up. She brings the the truck and trailer to the gas station and we attempt to load the Jeep. I thought, this sucks, but at least I get to try out my new winch! Remember the tires? I never checked the trailer after the tire install. I was in a hurry, running way late for my vacation! The Jeep started going up the ramps and boom! The trailer came right off the ball! Thats entertaiment at now nearly 2AM! Good thing it didn't disconnect on the highway on the way home from The tire shop. Never trust anyone else to hook up your trailer!

Thursday morning! Ran to Napa, bought a new drain plug, changed oil again on the trailer. Called my friend Glen, he owns a tool for popping that gromet/ball dealy into the shifter! The Jeep was done and as close to ready as possible, we are on the road at 10am heading for Eveleth! It performed great for it's maiden trip and we had a blast! The first night it rained like crazy and I spent it in the motel parking lot looking for last minute things I might have overlooked. Both days of wheeling where great!

The Jeep now has 2,000 miles on it since the rebuild. It has ran great since and has about 500 off road miles on it. If everything went right on a Jeep project or wheeling trip, that could only mean one thing.. your out of beer! Just thought i'd share my story! Take care guys! [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]

Image Insert:[br][br][size=1] 3.2 KB[/size=1]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 05:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Twas the night before the Jeep Jamboree..

[img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That's a great story! Just more proof that Americans don't let "mechanical issues" stand in the way of reaching a goal. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] We don't just succeed.....we PREVAIL!! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 07:24 AM

Re: Twas the night before the Jeep Jamboree..

Great story! Been there, done that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode