windsheild bolts stripped, what now? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

windsheild bolts stripped, what now?

i recently bought some mirror relocation brackets for my 97 tj and i was trying to get the bolts for the windsiheld loose, the ones that hold it to the body and i stripped out both of them. i was using the correct size toll for the job. what do i do now i still want to hook these things on. any ideas?

thanks
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: windsheild bolts stripped, what now?

Are you sure that they are stripped?

While I can't be sure how a YJ windshield is bolted up, CJ's have nuts on the other side (rusty ones).

At least the [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] Torx flat head bolts that secure the windshield frame hinge to the tub have nuts. Reach up in there with a (1/2" or is it 9/16") wrench. As for the windshield frame it's self.... I don't remember.

On the bright side they drill out pretty easy and you don't even mess up the threads if you pick a good drill size.

Good Luck,

Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Addict

I think he might mean that he stripped out the torx head of the bolt. This usually happens with unhardened torx bits. I have found that you really need a good quality torx bit set for these Jeeps. I had a set of Craftsman torx bits which tore up my screw heads!

Craftsman does make a tool that is "suppose" to remove screws which have had their heads chewed up. Haven't tried it yet. It's called "screw out". There is also something called an "easy out", but again, I have never used this either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Addict

I definately don't envy you. The "simple" task of replacing my rusted out windshield hinges took the better part of a day due to stripped torx heads. Drill em out.

And the high quality torx bits help. Got mine at Sears. I've had em for over a year and used them often. No sign of weakening. Whereas the cheapies would twist, break, and strip. Have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode