garage size - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

garage size

So first off I have to say since the "upgrade" the search function on this board sucks. 9 times out of 10 it tells me I can't perform a search right now and when it finally works I get all kinds of totally unrelated garbage. I know, search functions take up a lot of resources, but it's frustrating. Okay venting over, now for the question.

I'm thinking of adding on another garage stall that will be a dedicated Jeep shop of sorts. Nothing too fancy, just a good size to work on and store my CJ. I've been getting by with the slightly over-sized one stall garage (15'W by 22'L) I have, but lately it's filled up with various crap, woodworking tools and I use it more for a workshop to work on the house than the Jeep. On top of that my wife's been putting on the pressure to park her car in there for the winter so she doesn't have to clean off the snow in the mornings. I'm probably going to just double what I currently have, but wanted some input as to what size you guys have and what you'd do differently if given the chance. I know a while back there was a thread similar to this but I'll be dammed if I could find it.

Thanks for the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: garage size

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] We went through this workshop thing about two years ago when we were in the process of making a decision about how best to remodel a big grainery that we have here on our farm. There was a main area that measured 14' X 32", and adjacent to that were four grain compartments that were 8' X 6', 8' X 8', 8' X 8', and 8' X 10'. We finally figured out that shop space.....USEABLE SHOP SPACE......is only what you have left after you install the bolt bins, the parts shelves, the tool racks, the compressor and HW heater, the furnace, and EVERYTHING ELSE that just stands there taking up space. Soooooo......what we did was saw through the wall to one of the 8' compartments and then sawed the walls out between THAT compartment and it's adjacents; making it kind of a central area for chains, hose, cords, and stuff like that; and then the adjacent compartments became the parts shelving and the bolt bins and the tool room. The fourth compartment and the smallest of the four was made into a machinery room for the compressor, the vacuum pump, the HW heater, and the furnace/air conditioner combo.. By doing that, we conserved the floor space where we actually do the SHOP WORK. 14' X 32 is plenty of room, and it's easy to heat and cool. We have made generous use of casters under everything so we can MOVE stuff when we need to. I like not having to listen to that compressor, and where it is I don't have to worry about getting grinder dust all over it. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree, I have a 24x40. With that I barely have enough room to run jpfab, have a jeep in the bay and room to move around it. Over 1/3 is used for building bumpers, welding table, another 3rd for compressor, drill press, tortch, roll around's metal bandsaw and some woodworking equiptment and shelving for the junk that gets religated to the shop. That leaves room for my cj5 project stuffed in the corner with no room to work around it, and room for 1 vehicle in the front of the garage with room to work... If I had my drethers,, I would Build a 40x60 on the back of our property and give the front shop to the wife. One moral of the story is the same as Salary's you get used to what you have and use every square inch.. Of course if I had a 40x60 I would want a lathe, mill, and a vertical bandsaw,, Don't forget the Plasma cutter and pipe bender,,, Crap Maybee I need to go 60x60,,,, Wait I do not have enough property [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Aprentice

The easiest way I have found on deciding garage size is to draw it out to scale on paper. Measure tool boxes, air compressors, pipe benders, etc and add to the drawing. Don't forget the all important work bench. Also take it one step further and add future must have tools. Now that you have a 100 x 100 shop planned you are ready to try and sell your wife on it. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] But seriously, just map it out on paper and you will be amazed ot how fast you fun out of room.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 09:31 AM
Pooh-Bah

definetly map it out, I am in the process of moving my stuff out of small shop into a 60x65 location, and even that gets small when you figure in long term projects, quick projects, enough area around each thing to work on it, toolboxes, counters, storage, stand alone tools, etc.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Addict

NHCJ7 - If you widen the existing structure, you can keep a backwall and side. You will need to decide on a new roof type.

After all that, it may be easier to build an entire new garage. Look at new plans (ebay, coolhouseplans.com have cheap ones) and see what fits. Use the scale method - you can use the survey that came with your deed as a start.

I am in the same process as you. I only have 1/4 acre so space is tight. I am planning out a new garage that will be built around the old one. This way I don't have to move too much stuff.

I'm using an 84 Lumber garage kit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Way Outta Control

Bigger is better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode