Small rust spot repair - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Small rust spot repair

I recently must have gotten a small pebble size knick on my hood that got past the paint layer.

I then went in for arthoscopic repair on my shoulder and haven't driven the jeep in about a month. I noticed this now and it has developed a small bit of rust. I was wondering what is the best way to remedy this?

I had the scratch repair bottle from the dealer, but cant find it now. I'll pic up another, I was just wondering how to take care of the spot?

I wasn't sure if some combo of 300+ grit sand paper, and some light sanding would wear away the spot, and allow for some touch up paint. I'm not really concerned with astetics. I just dont want the rust to spread.

This all should be fun, considering I only have 1 arm for the time being.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 03:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Small rust spot repair

Well believe it or not if you nick the body, and can't get to it for a while go get the girl friends clear nail polish, and a dab will do ya. That will seal it up just like her nails. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not really concerned with aesthetics. I just don't want the rust to spread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be worried about aesthetics with a new Jeep after sinking that kind of money into it.

You're on the right track thinking sanding. Sand it down with 300+ paper but don't get carried away sanding. If it's a really small spot, cover the eraser end of a pencil with sandpaper so you only hit the spot you need. Once smooth and rust free, clean it out good with de-greaser/wax remover and dab on a little primer first to cover the bare metal. You could stop here and it would protect you from further rust. To take it the rest of the way, sand again lightly once thoroughly dry and dab on some color match paint. Let that dry and repeat the sand and paint until your touch up is slightly higher than the factory paint. Then sand the spot down smooth with the surrounding area and rub it with polishing compound. Finish off with a buffer and some liquid wax and you'll never know the spot was there. Duplicolor makes good color match paints and they even have a nice complete kit with everything you need for a fix like this. You can even get it cheap at Walmart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

"I'd be worried about aesthetics with a new Jeep after sinking that kind of money into it."

I just ment i wasn't going to haul it off to a body shop to have this repaired.

I have touched it up for the moment since I paniced. It's been snowing/pouring sleet and whatnot. I'll finish it up when it clears up.

Thanks for the input, I've got the touch up paint for use after i sand it. Having two usefull hands will probably help. Thankfully thats later on this month.

thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode