Where'd my heater go? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
MOX
Old Hand

Where\'d my heater go?

Well my heater worked back home where our winters are nice and not very cold, well now i am at school and the weather is rarley abpve freezing, and perfect timing, my heater decided to go out or somthing, sotime i reach down to feal the lil vent thingy, and nothing, somtimes, a lil tiny warmth, but never the full blast it used to be, could this be a fuse? and if it is, could sombody witha Wrangler tell me wher in the box it would be, i replaced a fuse a while back, left the cover on my tire and drove off. So now I got the duct tape mod under my hood. Any help would be cool. Thanks Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Where\'d my heater go?

Yea it could be a fuse. Or the blower motor stopped working. If it's the blower it's a pain in the butt to get to,but not everything can be easy. I have a TJ so I don't remember where the fuses are in the YJ... Behind glove box prehaps. Then there are fuses in the engine compartment.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:41 AM

If this is a blown fuse, and if it is the same fuse you'd replaced before, you may want to check out your circuit. Look for anything than may be drawing too much current through that fuse (ie. accessories, shorts, bad blower moter). On my '88, the 20A fuse is on the lower right corner, when staring at the fuse box under the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:12 PM

Is it not blowing air or just not warm air? I can't help you with which fuse but there can't be that many. If I remember correctly there's a fuse block under the dash above the pedals and another in the engine bay. You may also have an in-line fusible link to worry about. Just spend a couple of minutes pulling and looking at them. You should be able to tell which is blown by looking at it. If it looks black or you can see a break in the filament then try replacing it. If it continues to blow you'll need to trace down the cause.

If it moves air when you turn the fan control it's not a fuse. If the fan is working and you don't have heat it's most likely a stuck thermostat or even low coolant.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:57 PM

You need to determine if the blower is blowing slow or not at all. It could be the blower motor, blower resister, switch, wiring and maybe a couple other freak things. We're going to need more info to figure this out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:03 PM
Addict

Two fuse panels.
Next to battery and by the pedals. I think the blower fuse is under the dash since it turns off with the key.

But the fuse wouldn't just go without a reason.

If you crank up the heater you should hear the air being sucked in through the hood vent. If not, your blower may be shot.

If it's like mine, and likes to blow cold air - check the coolant and the t-stat.

Other than that, wear a heavy coat and some nice gloves. Fix it when it warmer out.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2005, 04:50 PM
M38

Could just be cold and the motor not producing any hot water

Sounds funny but my wore out honda when it's below 30 will barely get off C, sometimes it will rise and just then sink back to C again

I imagine that it starts to get hot and the thermostat opens cooling the water again.

If the fan is really working let it idle for a while and see if the temp will rise

Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode