radius control arms on the rear? (TJ) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

radius control arms on the rear? (TJ)

i was wondering.........could a radius control arm be used on the back of a tj to keep the axle connected to the jeep?????? if so why havent i seen it done before.......if it cant be done....why? ......i was reading some post about radius control arms up front........so thats why i asked this question...... [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 02:02 AM
Official Historian

Re: radius control arms on the rear? (TJ)

If you look at the fabtech TJ lift, the rear is a radius arm setup. It uses 2 arms on each side but the front attachment is with the same bolt.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

i didnt know that.....ill have to check into it.........

has anybody built thier own radius arm set for the rear???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:48 AM

WHY !! Do you ask this question Mud Hopp-ah?

Bill (Gets scared when John asks questions like this) C
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if i make my own long arm suspension like i want to thats what im going to be doing.

i'd be copying the principle of other suspension kits on the market, and i'd make them adjustable so i can change the pinion angle and such as needed.

I have a plan.....i need a welder....and the ability to use it......then i can do it!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
if i make my own long arm suspension like i want to thats what im going to be doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

can this be done with a short arm kit???

the reason im looking at doing this is that im getting a DD next month, i hope....so the jeep is going to get some TLC in the form of a front locker, lowered lift kit for a better LCG(im going to remove, the 1.75" budget boost and keep my 3" spring lift").....the radius arms was just an idea (comment for bill [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] )if it can be done im sure 44magnum off-road can do it [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if you were making one at home or having one custom made theres no reason to stay with the short arms at all....

all you need it to move the control arm bracket back a bit, or make a new one and junk the existing one.

the materials wouldnt change much on your costs.

you'd have better ride on road...which is important in a DD

better flex

and you'd have the cool-factor of a long arm susp.

you shouldnt have problems keeping the 3 inch springs and making the long arms to match them... you could probably also adjust your long arms if you ever go with more than 3" of lift

my project is going to start with just the rear, then when i have time and money im going to do the front....assuming the rear was actually successful [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

but thats all a ways away...prolly in the fall or something
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Way Outta Control

Front of the arms attach with the same bolt on the FabTech? The arms must be side by side?

I wonder if that's why Fabtech has the reputation of breaking the Trac-Bar (cross locator.) Something binds and snaps the Trac-bar. Even super heavy bars snap like a twig when you twist the rig up. Sure can't drive it without the cross locator.
Other suspensions, like the RE have the front of the rear bars, both top and bottom bars, mounted above and below each other -- on the same vertical plane.

FabTech's the only one that seems to snap them on a regular basis.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even super heavy bars snap like a twig when you twist the rig up. Sure can't drive it without the cross locator.

[/ QUOTE ]
oh, we shure have tried to!! 2002 TJ with a 3" tera short arm system with adjustable lowers.
it breaks upper control arms, aor removes the trac bar.
it usually rips the trac bar right off the axle, and usually results in a fun ride home!
the axl eonly walks far enough that the tires hit the coil buckets in the back, and thats as far as it will go. definatly interesting. as a matter of fact, that TJ that always likes to displace tose rear liunk suspension parts is sitting out behind my shop today waiting to get the trac bar re welded on and a new control arm put on.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 01:39 PM
Way Outta Control

He He -- with the tires rubbing on the coil pads it's not going far! I was thinking of the freeway ride home! Good justifaction for an on-board welder!

The Terra short arm does it too? The arms still use the original stock mounting points, one above the other, don't they?

Maybe the "side by side" of the Fab Tech isn't the cause after all.
Yes for sure -- the "kits" usually use a longer Trac Bar mount on the axle end - it bolts on to the stock mount. That increases the stress on the stock mount's welds, they break! It's not really difficult to re-inforce that mount with gussets.

The frame end also needs re-inforcement. In fact, it helps with windsteer and bumpsteer to extend (lower) the mounting point of the frame end too. (Actually that trac bar should be parallel with the ground to get the least "steer," not practicle though.) For sure then it needs re-inforcing gussets! I also re-inforce the frame at that point to distribute the load. Wish I took pics of the ones I've done. I haven't done mine yet -- yet!

In fact, it couldn't hurt to gusset ALL the mounting points on the axle. They are flimsey.
And, you need skid protection on the lower bar mounts -- the U-bolt style protectors are junk - they bend and break the U-bolts, and don't do anything to strengthen the mounts.
I saw one front that was bent way over to the side -- and it had the U-bolt skid plate still on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode