Full Hydro 4 wheel steer set-up options and ?????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Full Hydro 4 wheel steer set-up options and ??????

This is the system that I was originaly looking into.

I am looking at Char-Lynn Steering Control Unit; Series 2 (1500 psi max) Open Center, Non-Load Reaction, Power Beyond.
This valve is meant to have 4 gpm of flow (about the same as a good Saginaw pump). The power beyond port would feed the rear steer ram.

Now, the problem with the power beyond set-up is: Once steering is initiated and since steering has priority, inlet flow will be diverted to the steering circuit as required. Flow out the excess flow port (power beyond) and tank port will vary or stop depending upon the steering requirements. (i.e. The rear steer gets what's left over, probably very little w/ a stock box)

I want to be able to steer the front and the rear at the same time.

My questions:

1. Is it true that I need a pump with more flow (like maybe 8 gpm instead of 4gpm) and the same pressure (1450 psi)? Or will my psi drop too significantly when I open both valves even having 8 gpm?

2. Has anyone experienced usage of the "manual steering check valve" (converts orbital valve to a hand operated pump for limited manual steering i.e. steering w/ no pump pressure)?

Here is a web page I have been getting some info from.

OR-

I could ditch the "power beyond" and get some shut off valves. 4 shut off valves. And do this?????????

Will that set-up work?????????

There are some "crab" options there too but every time I post the word "crab" on here z50k2 starts talking about gaydom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Full Hydro 4 wheel steer set-up options and ??????

I think you should install two Manual Gear boxes on each end and Two Steering wheels and mount your Seat on a Lazy Susan. then just spin around to steer either end.. [img]images/graemlins/headspin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 07:25 AM

Re: Full Hydro 4 wheel steer set-up options and ??

The key is "inlet flow will be diverted to the steering circuit AS REQUIRED." Turning the wheel normally doesn't require much flow. The front steering will only use the full flow when turning quickly - spinning the wheel lock to lock. You're not likely to be doing that while also steering the rear.

At slow idle, try to spin the steering wheel fast enough to beat the pump output. If you can use all of the pump output you'll feel strong resistance to turning the wheel even faster. That's the point at which you would lose rear steering. But if the valve is designed properly the back wheels couldn't move on their own, they just wouldn't respond to your command to move.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

Skip all the valves ...The stuff your planning to use is full tilt industrial (orbital, hydraulic rams, electric solenoids for the rear, etc)...why cheese it up using an "automotive" PS pump? (Like trying figure out how to use match to do the work of a Qbeam! [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])

What you need is an "INDUSTRIAL" solution to the problem of powering 2 sets of rams simultaneously. Obviously, most PS pumps aren't gonna cut it flow wise. If your going to the expense (rams, orbital, 100' of hyd. hose, etc.) of doing it period, why not use a pump with gonads that has enough flow? Shouldn't be that hard to fab mounting brackets and find a pulley (that allows it to spin in the recommended RPM range)...ain't like space is gonna be scarce under the hood of that pig!

$250 (pump & sheave) more to make sure the other $750 (all the other junk) will work righ & wasn't pissed away... priceless!

Word [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cool Dave, there is a Grainger like 3 miles down the road to!

[ QUOTE ]
My questions:

1. Is it true that I need a pump with more flow (like maybe 8 gpm instead of 4gpm) and the same pressure (1450 psi)? Or will my psi drop too significantly when I open both valves even having 8 gpm?

[/ QUOTE ]

So your saying true?

I like the factory pump not only because it's already there but it saves me from buying and plumping a reservoir and relief valve. Sound like I'm being lazy? 90% or more of the problems I have read about on internet forums have been about not being able to get the fluid to return from the reservoir to the pump fast enough. There are a bunch of gravity feeding and suction return line failure issues. And filtration systems that churn microscopic air bubbles into the systems. Generally, my vehicles are breeding grounds for catastrophic, meticulous failure of small working parts such as these. Maybe one of these local race shops can provide a high flow self contained pump and reservoir.

[ QUOTE ]
Skip all the valves ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm thinking the same. I'd like to keep it as simple as possible. And with as few specialty parts as possible. I'm even looking into mounting a second stock pump and running the front and rear on completely different systems.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would think that without some kind of valving or a separate system for the rear, you would only be able to steer in the opposite phase as the front, ie. turn the front to the left, rear goes to the right (what you would normaly want). Having the valving or the separate system would allow you to turn the rear in the same phase as the front allowing the truck to "crab". Would help with parallel parking at least...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode