opinions wanted for fixing driveline angle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

opinions wanted for fixing driveline angle

Well i recently swapped in an sm465 into my cj5 and mounted it on a new skidplate that only hangs down 2 in. This has left me with a pretty rough driveline angle, 21 deg. when the axle is pointed at the tcase. I've come up with what i think are my main options, and i was wondering what order you would rank them. in my future plans are soa and 35 in. tires.
So here are my options:
move rear axle back: (wagoneer springs, need to do anyways to not have 35 in tires hit fiberglas body on full compression). Gain 2.5 inches
Move whole drivetrain foreward: need electric water pump to do this. Gain 2 inches
Find a short output dana 300: gain 1.5 inches?
Wait for novak to come out with their supershort high strength output: gain approx 3 in?
(i'm not for sure on how much i'll gain with the transfercase mod.)
High pinion axle: dana 60 lose 3/4 inch driveline, but move pinion up 2.625 inches from amc 20
High pinion axle: ford 9 gain 1.75 in driveline, move pinion up 3.75 over amc 20 using www.truehi9.com case (expensive)

I know i will move the axle back, but i dont think it will be enough when i do a soa to cure my driveline whoas, so what would you do next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:18 PM

Re: opinions wanted for fixing driveline angle

I have tried to do my jeep in moderation, and go the less expensive route to eventually get to where I want. Well, I have spent 3 times the money than if I would have waited and done it once the rightway.
If you want to go with a 60 in the rear with a springover, I would save up and go in one direction. I havent had luck with interim fixes for big problems until I finally broke down and did it right (Im never satisified).

Highangle driveline or Tom Woods may also have some advise for drivelines.

Just my 2cents.
TJ
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Way Outta Control

I think I'd first move the axle back -- you are planning that anyway.
Next I'd drop the skid plate and T-case enough to get the angle down to reasonable. It may just take a spacer to do it. Also check if the T-case mount can be modified to get the T-case closer to the skid plate. A couple of inches will make a huge difference.

Measure properly, then get a CV shaft. If you don't already have it, a slip yoke eliminator too.

Point the axle so the single Cardan U-joint in the rear has as little angle as possible, let all the angle be taken by the CV joint.

21 degrees is way too much - you'll have lots of vibration and failures like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

well after some more measureing and thinking, this is what i've come up with.
my motor and tranny have a 5 degree down slope on them. This makes my operating angle 16 degrees for the upper ujoint.
so here is my plans:
High pinion dana 60 moved back 2.5 inches with waggy springs setup up sua, since my springs are completly flat (worn out) and i've read waggy's give 2 in over flat springs?

This will give me my stronger, wider axle (dana 60 cut to 58inches), 2 in of lift to help with the larger tires, and a great pinion angle with not as much work.

Now i also just got a deal on buggy springs, so i plan to install tj fenders, then bumpstops so nothing rubs, and setup the rest of the axle for maximum droop.
How does all this sound?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 11:32 AM
jeep nut

Ive not done a wrangler springs swap myself but read a web page of a guy who has. It was on a 47 cj-2a but he only gained 1.5 inches in the rear. This may have nothing to do with your cj5 at all but thought you may like to know
http://www.offroaders.com/jeepfan/omeina47.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode