How To? Make water tight window in ammo can lid? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

How To? Make water tight window in ammo can lid?

This goes out to all you engineers and other creative people. I got a CD player for the CJ for xmas. Soon I will be building a mount for it to rest securely inside the box but I'm not Superman so I can't see through the steel lid if its closed. Since its a stereo I'd like to keep longer than one rain or wheeling trip I'd like to keep it dry by keeping the lid shut most of the time. It came with a remote so I was thinking I could build a plexiglass window into the lid to keep it dry and clean and use the remote as much as possible for common functions.

So I've already come up with a few ideas in my head but would like to see what some of you come up with. Then I'll compare my ideas to yours and hopefully build something that'll work splendid.

My main idea is to just chop a rectangular hole in the lid of the box with a scroll saw. Then sandwich a piece of .50 inch plexi between the inside of the lid of the ammo can and a rectangular piece of steel that I'd have welded together from flat stock that is larger than the hole in the lid so its hard to see from the outside of the can when the lid is closed. Bolt the two pieces of steel together with the bolt holes outside of the plexi so I don't drill through it, and use carriage bolts so there's nothing for thieves to grab onto from the outside surface of the box. Of course seal it up with some clear silicone sealant and call it done.

So sorry it was so long but what are your ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: How To? Make water tight window in ammo can li

Maybe I'm missing something here, BUT...what is it exactly you need to see *if* you have a remote control [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: How To? Make water tight window in ammo can li

Well the remote is IR if I'm correct and I don't believe that will go through metal. Also I'd like to see what station the radio may be on and what track the CD is on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode