Need help identifying a wire - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Need help identifying a wire

I have an '87 YJ with a manual transmission and a 258 I6 engine. There are two wires coming out of the clutch pedal that are in a black and red loom. The wires have a connector on the end of them. Does anyone know what this is and what it connects to? I pulled an alarm that was installed in my Jeep out yesterday and since then have not been able to get the Jeep to turn over. I was pretty careful pulling the alarm out, and am pretty sure I did not cut any wires, just removed them from spliced sections of the Jeeps original wiring. I noticed these two wires (In the red and black loom) for the first time and they are not connected to anything. If anyone can help me with this, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Donny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Need help identifying a wire

Humm... speed control disable switch?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Old Hand

i would guess that they are for the neutral safety switch, if you just them together the jeep should turn over. Ideally you should find where they connect and reconnect them, so that you must push the clutch in to start it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Leve,
I have a Howell kit in my Jeep. The fuel pump is going on and the starter is cranking but the injectors are not spraying. All of my wires seem to be properly connected and the fuses are good. I have no clue what is wrong. I hear the fuel pump go on before I start cranking but the injectors are not spraying. I actually ran out of gas the other night because my gas guage has recently decided to stay on full forever. My temp guage is also all the way to the right, which also just happened yesterday. Could this all be connected? I'm frustrated and a little lost. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Donny
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Way Outta Control

The injectors should only pulse when the plug fires. The computer gets the pulse from the coil... so I'd have to ask if you're getting spark? If you've got spark, and the injectors don't fire, then the problem is between the coil and the computer. If the plugs don't spark then the problem is isolated back to the ignition circuit.

Check the grounds, for sure...

But My guess is that the removal of the alarm disconnected normally closed switch. Once the alarm was armed, the switch was open. Check for power to the ignition module.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Ok, I checked, I am not gettting spark. I have an MSD ignition and the tach output wire connecter cracked. Could this be the root of my problems? Without spark, the injectors will not spray, right?

Donny
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I figured it out and the Jeep is running. On the MSD ignition, there is a switched 12V. For some reason, the switched 12V wire that I had running to that wire was dead. I hooked it up to another switched 12V and it started right up. What a relief that this drama is over. Thanks for the help and your time.

Donny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode