Gas Towrig? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Gas Towrig?

With the New Year rolling in, I'm back in the hunt for a towrig. After discussing the pros/cons of gas & diesel, I think a gasoline mill is in order. Chassis will be 3/4 ton!

Anyone trailer a 4000# rig (trailer has brakes)with a gas engine between 5.4L & 6.0L that can offer any info? I already know the deal on adding an external tranny cooler (possibly a gauge) and not towing in OD... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Gas Towrig?

I towed my rig to Jam '03 with a 2wd Expedition with a 4.6. It wasn't happy about the mountain, but it did okay. i would think it would be fine for occasional towing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Enthusiast

I tow with my 1500 Suburban with the 5.3 and 4.10 gears, and it's GREAT. MUCH better than towing with my 5.8L Bronco (although the Bronco has it all over the 'Burb in the "Cool factor" category).

I was flat towing with the 'Burb last night while Chris (Elusive) was pulling his TJ on a trailer with his Cummins TurboDiesel. We happened to get side by side at a red light. The road was a little wet, so we both spun the tires. Then he lurched in front of me for about two car lengths, and then I ran him down at about 40 MPH. It was a classic torque vs. horsepower comparison. I averaged 11.5 MPG with the gas engine flat-towing, while Chris gets 15 MPG with his CTD, regardless of the load. One time I borrowed Chris' trailer and towed a '64 T-Bird up to the High Desert. I think it was at least as heavy as a Jeep on the trailer. The power was fine, and the gas milage was around 10 MPG.

A Suburban 2500 with a 6.0/4L80E would be great as a tow rig. I'd feel much better with my 'Burb if it didn't have that 10-bolt rear-end and the 4L60E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Is the 4L80E the "heavy duty 4 speed auto" referred to in the sticker lingo or is that something else?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 05:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

ya dave... its the big auto tranny... with overdrive... i would much prefer a diesel... and you can get a 99-00 cummins/furd... for under 20k.... with decent mileage... and another thing.. a diesel will last far longer than that gasser... if you plan on keeping this rig....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Maybe I need to pack & visit you in the Swamp for a weekend (seriously)...ain't no such pricing like that happening around here! I'm really wanting diesel, but it makes the bottomline hard. I'd settle for a 2WD PSD CC (like your old one!)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I'm pulling with a 83 Furd F250 with the 460. My Jeep scales in at 3700# and my trailer scales at 3000#. With the lighter fiberglass lid on the bed it ran 45 mph up the mountain to Boone (Crackers Neck run), the trip MPG averaged about 7. With the condo (2000#) on the truck (the way you saw it at URE) it gets the same MPG, is a little less responsive but will pull. Not sure I'd want to trust this ol' truck to pull the Jeep, trailer and condo over Bear Mountain or up to Boone... It got pretty hot going up to Boone w/o the condo on board...but throwing the heat on for all it was worth helped keep the temps out of the danger zone.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 09:27 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I'm with jeepgod on this one, the diesel is much better for towing. I can ease out the clutch on a steep hill with the camper, jeep and trailer in 1st, 2nd or third gear. I have to watch the speed as I have been towing up to 80 or 90 before I know it! The real test came when we towed the jeep to Colorado. The big Dodge didn't even know it had a load going up the long steep mountains. And again, I could pull in any gear. My old Furd 3/4 ton truck was a great truck but can't hold a candle to the diesel. If your going to tow much and are planing on keeping the truck a while, look into getting a diesel. I don't think you'll be sorry. I sure have been proud of mine.
2001 Dodge Turbo Cummins
6 speed
4:10s

I'd rather be Cummin than Stroking [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 11:56 AM
Old Hand

I pull a 4000 lb Jeep on a 2000 lb trailer.
I use a 2004 2500 Ram quad cab Hemi Auto.
It tows great.
Tow package has a tranny cooler.
Get about 10 mpg at 65 mph with loaded trailer.
Diesel wasn't an option for me because of price. Plus the body and frame will rust away before the engine goes bad anyway due to road salt.
Lower gears were an option but I didn't get them. And the truck has no problem towing with the higher ratio.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 12:54 PM

I tow with a '90 3/4 ton chev with the 350 and sm465. It works for me, if you hit hills at 65 it pulls them like a champ, if you hit them at 45-55 it dogs down and you end up dropping a gear and getting dogged down. I'm happy i went with a gasser instead of a diesel but my budget also was in the 1-2 grand range so it didn't give me many options. I'd love a newer turbo diesel but it won't be in the cards for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode