sorta O/T Windstar Overheating/not blowing heat - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

sorta O/T Windstar Overheating/not blowing heat

Ok here's the deal,

I have a 96 windstar and it's overheating and not blowing hot air. There doesn't seem to be water in the top tube so we figuired the thermostat is bad. We replaced it and still nothing. Thinking that perhaps we got a bad thermostat we replaced it again. Still nothing. So I broke down and brought it to the mechanic. They think it's the cylinder head, but they can't find any coolant in the oil or on the spark plugs. He says there's water going into my heating tubes, why aren't I getting heat then? I'm thinking the heatercore and radiator are blocked up with crap. PLEASE, I need another opinion because I think the mechanic might be overlooking something simple. He's a reasonable guy and a good mechanic, but I'm not sure about his diagnosis.

Thanks in advance!
And Happy New Year to everyone, drink safe! [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:39 PM

Re: sorta O/T Windstar Overheating/not blowing hea

Does it have the 3.8? They are know for headgasket leaks. It's a real bad problem on them. Not saying thats what it is, but..........

If you don't like his opinion, take it to another shop and see what they say.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:41 PM
Way Outta Control

If the heater hose going TO the heater core is hot, and the heater hose coming FROM the heater core to the engine is cold, then the problem is:<ul type="square">[*]Heater core is plugged[*]Heater hose valve is closed/not working[/list]If both heater hoses are hot then there may be a problem with the blend door.

Is there ever heat?

Is there any loss of coolant?

Now, if the engine's always low on coolant you may have a bad head gasket. The cooling system gets pressurized and blows out the coolant. Since the coolant goes low... the heater never gets hot coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Used to have heat, now it only blows really cold all the time even when the engine gets hot hot. Also, there's not been any loss of coolant that I've noticed. I just don't see why if it was the head gasket there would be no heat? And YES it is the 3.8 and I know they are notorius for the head gasket problems. I'm just confused as to why there's no heat if it's a bad head gasket and the hose to the heater core is hot.

Thanks again
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:32 PM

What I find most of the time in those is that even if it's a really small leak it puts the exhause gasses into the cooloing system and get trapped in the heater.(the highest point) Did I also read that you said "when it gets HOT, HOT"? If you've had it hot......I would say that it's a 99% chance on the heads. Those DO NOT like to get hot.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2004, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

ya top of the normal zone, alomst red, it climbed really really fast. I was sorta afraid you guys where going to say that. The system just acts plugged up. But I suppose like you say it's acting like it's airlocked from the exhaust. Ok well thanks for the insight guys.

--Jason
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 08:54 AM
Old Hand

They also like to trap air in the system because of the rad being so low. Also try jacking the front up to help get the air out. Most 3.8s seem to blow the gasket around 80,000 miles.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 09:18 AM

Very true Lindy. But I'm gonna have to change your one statement.
It's not that most go at around 80k (very true) It's that most are lucky to ever see 80k on the first gasket set. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode