Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Friend totals jeep and gets hurt (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/202921-friend-totals-jeep-gets-hurt.html)

jps4ever 12-29-2004 07:25 PM

Friend totals jeep and gets hurt

This happened a few days ago. It was night and some jerk pulled out in front of him in a black pickup with no lights on. By the time he saw him the only thing he could do was swerve to miss the truck. He got the lifted CJ5 off in the ditch and rolled it. During the roll he said he heard the seat belt pop open and he was beaten up pretty good inside the jeep before being thrown out. The jeep rolled over and pinned his leg with the roll cage. The dirty SOB in the truck did not stop to see if he was hurt and just hauled a$$. A little while later some friends just happened to drive by and saw Jim's CJ laying on it's side, they stopped and got him out from under it. It cracked the bone in his lower leg and several ribs along with banging up his shoulder. I feel bad for him, he just got divorced and has not been working because he is going back to school. The frame and tub are in bad shape and of course he didn't have full coverage. It sucks being jeepless. He says now he should have T-boned the truck! I guess it could have been a lot worse. I'd sure like to have a little chat with the driver of the truck.

CJ7Taz 12-29-2004 07:44 PM

Re: Friend totals jeep and gets hurt

I guess for this Iíll post. I should have mentioned it years ago for some of our newbie Jeep owners. With the headlights of a Jeep being so close together, if someone just takes a quick glance in your direction in the dark, they get the illusion that you are a lot further away than you are. Itís even worse if the other driver is a bit intoxicated. After it happened to me a couple of times I quickly realized what the problem was. It is something all Jeepers should stay aware of when driving at night.

Randyzzz 12-29-2004 07:50 PM

That happens to me on a regular basis...I figured it was the lights being so close together. It's wierd, you can see people looking at you and then pull right out in front of you. Of course, there's always the "Oregon Driver" (Or insert whichever state you like) excuse.

Interesting...When I was younger, you'd get cut off by people wanting to go faster than you. That's ok, in my book. But for the last 5-10 years it seems there are more and more people who cut you off to go slower! Makes me wish I was driving a tank! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]

Dirt Dog 12-29-2004 08:07 PM

[img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]Well that sucks. Once again I hope there is at least some chance of finding the other driver. Please keep us informed of how your buddy is doing and if anything else is found out.

irjpr 12-29-2004 08:52 PM

Sorry to hear about that...

Interesting on the headlights though! All the times that people have pulled out in front of me, I never made that connection. I always figured it was the sight of the jeep and them probably thinking along the lines of "that pile can't do the speed limit!"

Learn something new everyday....