cntrd axle,steering wheel now crooked,help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

cntrd axle,steering wheel now crooked,help

hi. in regards to my post from last week
i centered the axle, installed the track bar per curries instructions. tires are even distance from the frame on both sides.
to get the the distances equal, my wife had to hold the wheel to the left. now its to the left. period. how do i straighten out the steering wheel.?
this is my daily driver and i can't drive it like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 08:48 PM
Official Historian

Re: cntrd axle,steering wheel now crooked,help

That is the easy part. Park with the wheels in the straight ahead position with the steering wheel in the slightly off position. Leave the steering column unlocked. Then loosen the clamps on the drag link adjuster. Turn the adjuster sleeve to shorten the draglink until the steering wheel is centered.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

now that seems easy enough. I took a look underneath and it seems pretty straight forward. thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Will,
It's important that the gearbox be centered when the wheels are centered.
The gears in the box mesh differently in the straight ahead position. They are made this way to reduce wear while driving straight down the road, (95%) of your driving.
If you adjust the drag link to straighten the steering wheel, the gears will be "off center" for 95% of your driving and cause premature wear and failure to your gearbox. Not to mention that you may be able to turn further in one direction than the other.

Pull the shaft and insert it correctly. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Adjusting the drag link moves the pitman arm which in turn sets the gears on the inside of the box. Not to mention that the steering shaft only goes into the column in one position, at least on my CJ. There's a spot on the shaft with a flat spot that allows the bolt on the clamp between the column and shaft to hold it all together. If you put them on differently then you can't get the bolt through its holes and then there's nothing holding it all together.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:02 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Adjusting the drag link moves the pitman arm which in turn sets the gears on the inside of the box.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sets the gears????

The gears are set at the factory. There is a center to a gearbox, and it should be centered when the tires are centered.

There is a "key" in the splines of the pitman arm that only lets the arm go on the splines in one position.

If your shaft isn't unadjustable then you may have to pull the wheel to achieve this and a straight wheel.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

What I meant by set the gears is that the gears in the power steering box would be set to the straight forward setting like they were from the factory. It makes sense in my head, but its late.......maybe someone can shed light in the morning. But the drag link is set to be adjustable for this very reason so I'm sure it's not gonna mess things up too bad if adjusted.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Official Historian

Think about it. If the steering wheel was straight from the factory and the pitman arm was centered (which is what you are saying), then as long as the steering wheel stays straight, the pitman arm will too.

The only way to have the gearbox off center is to rotate the steering wheel in relation to the steering gear worm shaft.

You are correct in that the steering gear sector needs to be centered on the nut for straight driving. As long as the steering wheel is centered and has not been rotated in relation to the worm shaft, the sector gear will be centered.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 09:44 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
Think about it. If the steering wheel was straight from the factory and the pitman arm was centered (which is what you are saying), then as long as the steering wheel stays straight, the pitman arm will too.

The only way to have the gearbox off center is to rotate the steering wheel in relation to the steering gear worm shaft.

You are correct in that the steering gear sector needs to be centered on the nut for straight driving. As long as the steering wheel is centered and has not been rotated in relation to the worm shaft, the sector gear will be centered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with that, if the shaft, yokes, nor wheel have never been pulled. I took it for granted that mine has been pulled a dozen times at least.

My bad Knifeboy, I didn't understand what you were saying.

:All Good:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode