D44 Lock Right this weekend - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

D44 Lock Right this weekend

I'm gonna do the install of a lockright in my '71 this weekend. D44, flanged, offset, 3.73.
I've never had a diff open before, but I think I can do this. I've read and re-read the directions and the
Haynes manual, and talked to one guy briefly who has done this before, although he doesn't have
time to stop by during the process.
Soooo, looking for any advice from those who have done this, or even links to sites with details. I'm
on travel Tues and Wed, I'll check back in on Thurs to see if anyone has any pointers.
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Lynn
'71/'48/'97
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 09:50 AM

Re: D44 Lock Right this weekend

You might need a case spreader to get the case to let go of the diff.
I've done other 44's in the past and didn't need one but you never know.
Don't mix your bearing or caps!
You might have to remove the ring gear to stuff in the locker. If so and if you have them use new bolts.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lynn,
Don't worry about the case spreader. As I'm sure you know, none of that stuff has to be removed to put the Lock-Rite in. The hardest part is installing the springs, and they're not that hard. Just take your time and have patience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-01-1999, 01:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lay out about 1 square mile of white paper under you before you even start messin' with the springs. The slightest slip and...........BOING--they're LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG gone.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 11:06 PM

Be advised, I put a ez locker in my 79 blazer with a 1978 3/4 ton dana 44 front axle with 3.73 gears and I did have to pull the diff to remove the ring gear to get the pinion gear cross shaft out. I would recommend replacing the cross shaft roll pin with a new one or at least using some loctite on it. Reason: Put a lockrite in the front dana 30 of my CJ-7 about 2 years ago. Well, the roll pin worked it's way out, letting the cross shaft fall out, get broken in half as it rotated around and struck the axle housing and screwed up several teeth on the ring and pinion gears. Probably a rare occurence(just my luck) but something to think about.
Greg

Greg
89 XJ, 83 CJ-7, 79 Blazer, 67 CJ-5
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Replacing the roll pin is always a good idea. A little grease helps (holds the little stuff when you need three hands). Most d44 diffs require removing the ring gear. New bolts is good (loctite 271 will work ok). Watch them springs, they do like to take flight. Make sure you mark the bearing caps and install the back the way they came off.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 12:45 AM

Hey Lynn! I'm glad to see you got a locker. I tried to make the Jeep show down there but my club had a trailride that weekend so it took preference. I just put a Lockright in the rear dana 44 with 3.73's in my `71 Jeepster today. You WILL have to take out the case to do it since the pinion shaft won't slide out past the ring gear. Its not that hard to do, but if you don't have an air gun, loosen the ring gear bolts before you take the case out of the diff. Its easier that way. Pull the axles about 5". Use the drum placed on the axles backwards with 2 lugs and use it as a slide hammer. 2 or 3 quick tugs will get the axles loose. Make sure to mark the bearing caps for "left" and "right" and "top" on both. Also don't mix up the bearing races when they fall out when you pull the case from the diff. You won't need a spreader but it will be a snug fit. A small block of wood and a hammer will get it back in. E-mail me for and more questions or drive up here to the Wilkes Barre/ Scranton area this weekend and I'll give you a hand if you like. Good Luck!
Bill

Sprungover `71 Jeepster w/ lotsa goodies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-5680-16.jpg (32.9 KB, 0 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Hey Guys
Thanks for all the great advice! Passing along all of your good ideas is what makes this forum work. I appreciate your help, and hope I can help someone else in turn. As for the installation, I'm gonna give it a shot on Saturday, hope to test it before dark!
I'll post results next week.
BTW, I had an idea on the springs to keep them from flying: Use a piece of 6 or 8 lb test fishing line, long enough to make about an 8" dia loop. Pass one end through the springs, then tie the ends together. If they pop during install, the loop will catch on the screwdriver. After installed, cut the line and pull it out, should come out smooth since it's greased. This all assumes thatthere's not too much tension on the springs, and that the line will slide out without breaking. I'll try it, let you know results.
BillM, thanks for the offer, but I think I'll stay here in York to do it. Great pic attached to your reply; I'm passing it to a buddy of mine who just bought a '73 Commando for a song.(he wanted a '71 or older, but couldn't beat the price on the '73.) I think there will be an "upgrade" to the older model somewhere in his future. Got a webpage anywhere that I can pass to him?

Lynn
'71/'48/'97
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 11:35 PM

Well Lynn, the offer still stands if you need the help. I don't have a webpage yet. I keep putting it off till either I can do it or find someone to do it for me or teach me some good pointers. As for your friends 73, he can make it look alott more like a 71 by swapping out the front fenders, hood and grill with those from a 72-up CJ5. They have the longer fenders and hood to replace the 72-73 front end length. It'll turn out looking like a CJ6 except for the slanted back. Check your private mail up top for my phone # in case you run into any problems saturday. I'll be hunting the morning but home afternoon to evening. Good luck!
Bill

Sprungover `71 Jeepster w/ lotsa goodies [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode