snorkel performance effects - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

snorkel performance effects

i am looking at getting a snorkel for my 00 tj with 4.0, 3.5 superflex, and 33's. my question is to anyone who already has a snorkel. did you notice any performance changes, good or bad? and do you recomend one?

thanks all
shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2005, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Re: snorkel performance effects

come on, someone has to have some input here...

thanks all
shawn
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 07:21 AM

Several people probably have some input but have been tied up with holiday stuff. Surprises me that nobody has chimed in for a week, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 07:53 AM
Stranger

I do not have a snorkel on my old 84 cj but a club member has one on his tricked out tj. It works well in the hyper dusty conditions that are a near constant here in Texas but recently he was at the Candian River (18 miles north of Amarillo) playing with his new tj and decided to cross the river. The river normally runs about 6 in. deep but because of recent rains it was runinng about 6 ft. deep. He thought, "no problem, I've got a snorkle." His jeep was submerged about 5 hours before being winched out by another club member phoned at home to come make the rescue. Moral of the story is don't wheel alone and the snorkle doesnt convert tour tj into a submarine. [img]images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 06:26 PM
Cain

Fairly Standard over here (Safari Snorkels) I haven't got a TJ and have no probs on mine CJ7 360 V8, My Co runs a TJ with no probs and so does the other DSRT TJ no probs.

Like swadesbcglobal points out there's a lot more to it than just wacking it on.
I have a dizzy that has compressed air that runs to it, The breathers from the Diffs/Gearbox/Tcase run to the snorkel (in and up (up to create positive pressure). why PP well it to help stop water ingress when you enter cold water (PP can also be plumed to the Dizzy). Plug leads are all siliconed around all the Lead joints and onto the plugs and dizzy.

To test if a Snorkel is fitted properly place a plastic bag over the Snorkel intake, if the Jeep stops you've done it.
If it struggles on or you can hear air entering through a joint try again........
The only thing that is then over looked is the Exhaust mine is low but I keep the revs up, if I stall I don't try and start the engine till I have winched out of the river striped the plugs out and checked for water, pos change oils..
Cain
DarkSiderz Race Team
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 07:29 PM

go to the xj/mid-sized forum and do a search...some good info on snorkels there [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

My big question is the effects it will have on everyday driving (ie is my mpg gonna drop even more!) I would also assume that it will increase engine responsiveness, but just wanted to verify that.

thanks all
shawn
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 10:19 PM
VooDuu_Child

If it is the safari kit, you might gain a little in the mpg department, but it will almost be negligible. With the snorkel intake facing forward, at highway speed you'll notice a slight improvement in acceleration due to having cold air pushed in. You will not lose any mpg with the kit. I'd also get a k&n for your airbox for even better flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode