YJ springs on a CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-31-1999, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

YJ springs on a CJ

I'm thinking about using stock Wrangler springs on my CJ for a better ride. I have been to some web
sites, read other articles and talked to self proclaimed experts. So far I have found conflicting
statements:

1. The rear YJ springs bolt right in
2. The rear YJ spring is about 3/4" longer but the extra length is negligible
3. The rear YJ springs are too long and you have to move the shackle hangers
4. The front YJ spring is wider but you only need to change the front shackle hangers
5. The front YJ spring is wider but fits the front CJ spring hanger
6. The front YJ spring is wider and you need to change the shackle and spring mounts
7. The front YJ spring works with a stock rear CJ shackle hanger
8. The front YJ spring is wider and you need to change the u-bolt plate
9. The front YJ spring is longer and you need to move the shackle hanger
10. The front YJ spring is longer so you should use a rear YJ springs in the front of a CJ

So far I tend to believe 2, 5, 7, 8 and 9 to be true, but I need confirmation.

I have an '80 Jeep CJ7 with a Wrangler factory type soft top and a carport. The center top bow just
clears the underside at the entrance to the carport so I can't have any lift. No suggestions to raise the
carport, it's a townhouse and the homes association won't let me. No parking the Jeep outside, we get
too much ice and snow and I lost my scraper. For personal reasons, moving is not an option for a few
more years.

One other reason for no lift is that my girlfriend has short legs. I could get a new girlfriend but I'd rather
not. I've got a lot invested and I can't get anything for her as a trade in.

What's the going price for a set of used YJ springs. I've got a guy will sell me a set of used takeoff either
factory or 2" lift for $100 for the set and let me use his shop to install them. I think he'll come down to
$80 but not much lower.

When responding, it would be helpful to know which category you would best fit into:
a. I've done it
b. I helped/watched somebody do it
c. I read somewhere ....
d. a friend of a friend of a guy who did it told me ...
e. I have no ideas on this subject but I wanted to increase my posts count

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-1999, 01:47 PM
utahjeepr

Re: YJ springs on a CJ

I've never done this swap, but I researched it pretty thoroughly with the plan of doing this swap SOA on my '81 CJ-7. The statements you believe are correct are the same as I believe for a '76-86 CJ using '91-'95 YJ springs. There is an article about this swap somewhere in the tech section of this newsgroup ("off-road.com" I mean)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-31-1999, 02:12 PM
Dean

I have YJ OME springs on my 82 CJ-7 (I did the conversion myself), and I can tell you for a fact that #'s 1, 4, 5, 7, and 9 are true. I'm not sure about #2, but the rear YJ springs do bolt right in with no problem.

Dean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 09:44 AM
Ellis

I'm not which category but you will not have a problem with lift. Because the YJ springs havve much less arch you will lose a few inches or "negative lift"

80 CJ5, 52M38
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 10:01 AM

>1. The rear YJ springs bolt right in
True.
>2. The rear YJ spring is about 3/4" longer but the extra length is negligible
True.
>3. The rear YJ springs are too long and you have to move the shackle hangers
False.
>4. The front YJ spring is wider but you only need to change the front shackle hangers
Half-true, you need to change the shackles as well.
>5. The front YJ spring is wider but fits the front CJ spring hanger
True.
>6. The front YJ spring is wider and you need to change the shackle and spring mounts
The above answers cover this one...
>7. The front YJ spring works with a stock rear CJ shackle hanger
True.
>8. The front YJ spring is wider and you need to change the u-bolt plate
True.
>9. The front YJ spring is longer and you need to move the shackle hanger
Ture.
>10. The front YJ spring is longer so you should use a rear YJ springs in the front of a CJ
False. The 5 leaf rears are often used up front for resistance to sagging when doing an SOA.

>What's the going price for a set of used YJ springs. I've got a guy will sell me a set of used takeoff either
factory or 2" lift for $100 for the set and let me use his shop to install them. I think he'll come down to
$80 but not much lower.

$100 is about right.

>When responding, it would be helpful to know which category you would best fit into:
a. I've done it
This one.

What is the purpose of going to the trouble and expense of doing this? You'll actually end up lowering your Jeep. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 10:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guees he wants a softer ride. I was considering swapping CJ springs for YJ springs only because they are wider and some folks have said that you get a better ride. But, I also wanted to do a SOA. Another reason I wanted to go with the stock springs is because some people who have bought lifts complained about springs sagging after a few years. I'm pretty sure my springs are original and my CJ is from 1985, therefore they have lasted 19 years.

I'm planning on getting the OME kit from 4WD.

Good luck.

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with a mild lift, then just air down the tires when you want to drive it into the carport [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

My reason for doing this is for a better ride. It wasn't too bad until I installed the 'glass body but now it's
a little rough especially when the rear wheels hit a bump. If the Wrangler springs are going to lower it
then maybe I should get the 2" lift set. I can have either set for the same price. Actually, lowering the
rear wouldn't hurt, it jumped up pretty good when I went to the lighter body. I might get him to sell me
the stock rears and the 2" lift fronts to level me back out. After all, I've known him since high school,
class of '65.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode