Join Date: Nov 2001
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
YJ springs on a CJ
I'm thinking about using stock Wrangler springs on my CJ for a better ride. I have been to some web
sites, read other articles and talked to self proclaimed experts. So far I have found conflicting
1. The rear YJ springs bolt right in
2. The rear YJ spring is about 3/4" longer but the extra length is negligible
3. The rear YJ springs are too long and you have to move the shackle hangers
4. The front YJ spring is wider but you only need to change the front shackle hangers
5. The front YJ spring is wider but fits the front CJ spring hanger
6. The front YJ spring is wider and you need to change the shackle and spring mounts
7. The front YJ spring works with a stock rear CJ shackle hanger
8. The front YJ spring is wider and you need to change the u-bolt plate
9. The front YJ spring is longer and you need to move the shackle hanger
10. The front YJ spring is longer so you should use a rear YJ springs in the front of a CJ
So far I tend to believe 2, 5, 7, 8 and 9 to be true, but I need confirmation.
I have an '80 Jeep CJ7 with a Wrangler factory type soft top and a carport. The center top bow just
clears the underside at the entrance to the carport so I can't have any lift. No suggestions to raise the
carport, it's a townhouse and the homes association won't let me. No parking the Jeep outside, we get
too much ice and snow and I lost my scraper. For personal reasons, moving is not an option for a few
One other reason for no lift is that my girlfriend has short legs. I could get a new girlfriend but I'd rather
not. I've got a lot invested and I can't get anything for her as a trade in.
What's the going price for a set of used YJ springs. I've got a guy will sell me a set of used takeoff either
factory or 2" lift for $100 for the set and let me use his shop to install them. I think he'll come down to
$80 but not much lower.
When responding, it would be helpful to know which category you would best fit into:
a. I've done it
b. I helped/watched somebody do it
c. I read somewhere ....
d. a friend of a friend of a guy who did it told me ...
e. I have no ideas on this subject but I wanted to increase my posts count