2.5L power improvement - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 10:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 2.5L power improvement

Are you currently running the 4cyl or do you have the 6? If it is the 4, did you do anything to it? The only thing I have done so far is to pull out the reducer pipe from the air box to the throttle body, I noticed a smother idle. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 11:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I gotta side with GeeAea on this stick with your 4 banger thing. I figure that Jeeps were made to go anywhere, just not fast. As for the 4.88, I heard that the reverse D30 also won't be available for a while either. That's a shame, because I'm planning a Ford 8.8 swap but am waiting for the gears. If they drag their heels for much longer I may swap in a TJ D30 (not a reverse cut) since 4.88 are already available for them ( so I'm told ).
As for increased power, what about Turbo City's bored throttle body? Has anyone used one of these? Any noticable increase?

post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am not looking to go 70mph everywhere I go. Really I am looking for that little bit of extra power for the acceleration around turns or going up hills. Not much, just that little bit that the stock 4 doesn't seem to have. Other than that I have had no problems with the 4. I can go down the highway or around town with everyone else. Thanks again with all the input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 09:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

FNG-I followed a link (I don't have it anymore) to a guy's page who installed the TC bored out throttle body on a 4.0...he said that it "whistled"......and that TC instructed him to "gouge" the horn near the manifold........they said that the more of a "rough gouge" the less the "whistle" has a chance to form (I guess you're giving it chapped lips [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])....this equated to "the more of a butcher job you do on it ....the better.
Again the TC airhorn mod is an air related improvement. That is, it gives the engine breathing capacity beyond the design specs....as does the Borla headers and cat backs. What I believe (that is, my opinion) is that ..since all the fuel adjustments are computer controlled and compensate for air flow (MAP manifold absolute pressure sensor and MAS mass airflow sensor)that the only time you'll see any improvement or power enhancement is when you're at such a high rpm that you exceed the manufacturers intake/exhaust design flow ........that is, there is still "reserve" capacity for computer compensated fuel delivery... IF you have the added air flow............which means.......the stratosphere of the rpm range. This is what makes me doubt the real usefulness of such costly improvements......hence my critical skepicism of them. Just like when my old high school pal put an Offenhauser 4 bbl manifold and a Holley carb on his Plymouth slant 6 .........without a cam change it was just a fancy looking slant 6 ..........he couldn't get anything out of the added set of lungs.........with the stock cam it could only draw so much air/fuel.
Now a super/turbocharger ......that's a different story.......it, without regard to the intake capacity/valve size/combustion chamber shape-size/exhaust restrictions/camshaft grind, is going to cram more combustable intake charge into the system. You're kinda "reindexing" the engine .......that is, you're manipulating it to have an intake charge of a higher rpm at a lower rpm. Not that improving those other things would'nt help.......but since we can't do ALL those things (mainly the cam grind) and maintain our states "seal of environmental approval".....we're pretty well stuck with what the factory gives us..............or spend the $3000. I don't think that is too much to spend if it gives you what you want. I find it curious that most of the Jeep owners will be downright radically ingenious at figuring out how to get 2mm more clearance on their rigs ......but go the simple route when it comes to power (mainly, to quote dorfs, "there's no replacement for displacement" or throw in a V8).....again....I seek the untread path.
I'm, of course, open to altenate schools of thought on headers and such... but for right now......the weight of the evidence that I've seen (mainly the LACK of real world dyno tests) leaves me with little to put faith in.....and more importantly my money.

GeeAea

post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 10:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

GeeAea- I gotta agree with you here. There's only so much bolt on goodies that you'll be able to add that will make a difference. Heck, if you added every item available to your engine you couldn't get 100 hp. I personally bought my 4 banger for the gears and figured I'd drop in a bigger mill once the warranty ran out. Now I'm keeping the 4 banger and am looking for deeper gears (4.88's and 32" tires).
There's a guy in my club who added a Rimmer supercharger to his 4 banger recently. He now scoots down the freeway much faster. Personally I'd rather put that $3K or more into the rest of the Jeep, but it's still more functional for him since he's only got 20K miles on his 94 (not a daily driver).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode