Rear comp cut - Question about folding the metal. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rear comp cut - Question about folding the metal.

Hey all,

I don't know much about body work. Im told that I should fold under the edge. This will make it stronger. What kind of tool do I use for this? Are the expensive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:07 PM

Re: Rear comp cut - Question about folding the metal.

Not sure where the area is you are cutting and folding, or whether it's a straight line or curved (wheel well?).

If its straight, sheet metal pliers can be used to bend a small area at a time. Work your way accross in small increments, finish it up with a dolly and hammer. I'd only bend to 90 degrees to prevent trapping moisture and debris. If it's a curved section, I'd use a pair of wide pliers and work it across in small increments, also finishing with a hammer and curved dolly to even it out and stretch the metal of the fold.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

take a look at the attached pic. Is it simple to bend? I guess my concern is making the line look straight once its done since your only bending a little at a time.

I assume that you have to put a relief cut in the corner where the fender goes round?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1340182-compcut.jpg (32.8 KB, 65 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 02:50 PM

I wouldn't put a relief cut in it, there's no need. If you trace a nice line with a black sharpie (don't use a scribe as it may crack there), and work it a little bit at a time, you can do that easily. The hammer and dolly will stretch the metal as each hammer blow thins out the metal. Practice first on a sheet of metal. You can use a rounded hammer and hard blows on the curved surface, and lighter taps with a rubber mallet backed up with a flat dolly on the flat surface (to prevent stretching) to gather up the excess metal.

If you don't want to do it that way. Simply cut out the shape of the new wheel well and tack weld or braze some emt (conduit) you've bent around an old tire or rim to the right shape to create a nice stiff rounded edge. I don't like that method unless there is an inner well to close it off, as around here on a daily driver it would fill in with salt and sand and rust out.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Pooh-Bah

Another option along the lines of the conduit, is to weld 1/8" or 1/4" solid rod (bends easily to form) along the edge, not as strong as some methods, but gives a nice finished edge that won't shred tires & human body parts when contatced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode