OT Metal detector experience? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

OT Metal detector experience?

I've been thinking about getting a metal detector, mainly as a toy. The current push is because I lost my watch doing some landscaping in the back yard. It's somewhere in a 30' square area, maybe a foot or more deep.

Does anybody have any experience with relatively cheap devices? Done any research?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Addict

Re: OT Metal detector experience?

Got one for my son for Christmas. I checked into them before I purchased and "you get what you pay for" applies here. The following link had pretty good prices and customer service. http://www.kellycodetectors.com

Hope this helps.

Scott
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Way Outta Control

Phone book - prospector supplies, metal detectors etc. Some of those places will rent you a detector - or can point you in the direction of someone with one that'll look for it with theirs. Also local police usually know someone that they use at crime scenes. Most of them don't charge, they like to help out.
I used to work with the police with mine - sometimes at really interesting places.
Quite a few times they referred folks to me to help out. My best find was a diamond ring a lady lost in a school yard playing baseball. She was frantic! We found it far from where she thought she'd lost it. It was absolutely beautiful - one huge diamond. After we found it, she told us it was worth over $100,000! My reward was seeing her face -- and a kiss.

A newly buried watch at 1 foot won't be found by a cheapie - at 4" maybe. Adverting claims are mostly bull.

A decent detector starts at around $500 - easily goes up from there. My best one was about $1100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Prospector supplies? In Illinois? I don't think so!

But there are tool rental places that might have one. I'll check around.

If one that's reasonably effective is going to cost $500 or more, it's out of my range for a toy.

What I've seen so far is that they put a lot of effort, and cost one would assume, into developing zoomy software to figure out whether it's found a quarter or a nickel. I'm not interested in that - I just want a sensitive device reasonably priced.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:55 PM

We used to do lots of metal detecting in the 70's and 80's and had White's detectors. I hope you're not right about it being a foot down, because that's a long way. I can't ever remember digging up stuff that far down.

Radio Shack might have a decent detector. You're not after the discriminator functions and I once had a radio shack detector (was a kit you soldered all the parts together, like Heathkit used to make) and it was as sensitive as the White's, but had no discrimination between coins, bottle caps, and tin foil. Meant you dug up a lot for crap. But as I mentioned, we usually found what we were looking for, coins and rings, in the top couple of inches of soil.

Tell them at Radio Shack what you want it for, and perhaps if it doesn't work that well after you test it (by finding some test object, like your watch), you could return it?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

That's a swell idea, Tim. I've been looking at that Kellyco site. It seems that there's not much point in spending less that the $1,000 range, and that's WAY out of budget.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Way Outta Control

Prospector shops -- oops, I forgot where you are. We've got quite a few around here.
You might also try contacting local "coinshooter" or "treasure hunting" clubs. Illinois has lots of early history, a relic hunter's dream. Yahoo and other places list clubs like that - and sometimes local papers have meeting announcements.
Coin hunting and relic hunting is more prevelant than you'd expect. They often try to keep a low profile -- when they do find something good, they are always in fear that someone else will claim it or the gov't will try to tax it.

Yes, lots of technology's put in them to be able to identify the target without digging -- but a watch at 1 foot's pretty deep. And the position of the watch, and metal band or not also play a big part.

Unless they've changed vendors, the Radio Shack detectors are still in the "toy" category (the top end though) as far as sensitivity goes. But you may get lucky - it may not be as deep as you fear.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 07:24 PM
Addict

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I've been thinking about getting a metal detector,

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get one i don't want to see you on the beach wearing a straw hat and black socks with sandles. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

lol, at those prices your better off buying a new watch..unless its a Rolex, or has sentimental value of some sort
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 01:51 AM
Way Outta Control

So that's what I did wrong. Used mine at the beach several times - I think I found a total of 37 cents. I guess the black socks would have made a difference.

My ex "uncle in law"? used to regularly search the beach early in the morning - he had 4 cigar boxes full of jewelry he'd found - some things very valuable, lots of diamonds, gold, wedding rings, necklaces etc.. It's surprising what some people will wear in a place like that - and take a chance on losing it. He guessed each cigar box was worth about $20,000 - so it can be profitable, but it took him several years to find that much.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode