TF999 woes/gettin' hot - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

TF999 woes/gettin\' hot

Drove the Jeep today, went about 30 miles and the temp gauge that is installed after the auxilary cooler pegged at 350 degrees. It usually regesters around 160 degrees. The fluid looks good, and there is plenty of it...Anybody have any thoughts on why this suddenly changed? What could be causing it to get so hot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 07:26 AM

Re: TF999 woes/gettin\' hot

1) Pump could be bad (not circulating fluid).
2) There could be a blockage, causing the fluid to not circulate.
3) You could have something broken or damaged inside.
4) Water in the tranny (fluid would be milky and you need to drain a little to see this, won't show on the dipstick)

- When it got hot (or just before) did the transmission act any different (slipping, noises)?
- What were you doing just before this happened (water, mud, high revving, etc)? Did you JUST install the cooler before this happened? If yes, that is telling something.

Just a note, temperatures that high can and will kill a tranny in minutes. If you installed the cooler, then this problem happened, I would suspect a blockage in the cooler. Remove the cooler out of the loop (I know it's a pain) and see if the problem goes away. If it does, bad cooler.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
- When it got hot (or just before) did the transmission act any different (slipping, noises)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems to be working correctly, no slipping, no new noises.

- What were you doing just before this happened (water, mud, high revving, etc)?

[/ QUOTE ]

went on a highway trip this weekend to a friends shop (130 miles away). On friday night his truck broke down, I spent 3 hours sitting beside the road behind him. Had my motor running most of the time...but tranny and engine temps never went up. Installed rear selectable locker on Saturday then drove home. Did not notice any temperature increase on the way home (it was raining like the monsoons and I had no top...may not have even looked at the tranny temp gauge). No off roading this weekend.

Did you JUST install the cooler before this happened? If yes, that is telling something.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. The cooler has been on for several months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:07 PM

is your cooler in the rad. or is it an add-on-one?..........eather way it moght need a good flushing...you might have gotten some "trash" in it.......since i have a 5-speeed i might be talking out of my butt on this one but its worth a shot to look at.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Cooler is an add on, sits in front of the radiator. The temp gauge sender is after the radiator, just before it dumps back into the tranny.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 03:01 PM
Addict

Others know more, but this sounds similar to a problem that I had on my truck.

I would check to make sure it's getting lock-up. Slipping could cause it to heat up. Test drive and at high speed you should get lock-up... after which you should not get any (or only a little 1:1) increase in rpms with speed as you accelerate.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the info so far...likely gonna take it to a "transmission" shop tomorrow.

I have a buddy local that has offered up the auto that is in his 2002 TJ partster, anybody know what this is and if it will bolt inbetween my 258 and my NP231? I know I'll have to come up with something for the linkage (TJ-floor shifter YJ-column) but is the rest of it the same?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:15 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Check the gauge, sender, and wiring to make sure it isn't shorting to ground. Or, at least I assume that is the way your gauge works. I'd check to see if it gets pegged when it is shorted to ground.

At about 300 the transmission fluid will turn very dark. At 350 the clutches are usually overheated and will noticeably slip. And you have the sending unit at the input to the transmission.

Anyway, I'd check your wiring. Especially if your ATF looks like it is supposed to. If it really got that hot it'd visibly be dark and smell burnt.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Mud in my Veins

Good call Wrath!!... Should be a valid shot since it's the canned answer for folks with overheating engines &amp; electric guages.

Any chance that "selectable locker" required goobering around under the hood....near the OBA...where something or someone (OK...YOU) could have dinged a wire or bent/broke the wire to the sender??? [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode