Off Roading Forums banner

86 CJ7 transmission question (seems kind of dumb)

690 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Jeeper99xj 
#1 ·
My friend just smoked his automatic transmission in his 86 CJ7 with a 258.

It seems to have sucked water in through the vent tube and blew out the front seal. It looks like strawberry shake. I know it makes me appreciate my vent tube up by my windshield on my truck... but I digress.

I'm curious as to what transmission is in it. I know from searching the forum it's either a 904 or a 999. I don't know how to identify either of them or a 727. Any pointers? I know the pan is different on a 727 but that's about it.

Next, what can we get a transmission out of to go in it? Will a 999 out of a 91YJ with a 258 in it be a perfect replacement?

Lastly, how difficult is it to rebuild whatever transmission is in it? All day job?

Thanks for putting up with my questions. I'm going to do some more reading up on these transmissions.

See less See more
#2 ·
It should be a tf999, i don't think they are that hard to re-build but i've never done one. One thing to do if you re-build it is move the vent, there's an article on ifsja on how to do it. I know i ate 2 trans on my on tj because they got ful of water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.