pulling a 258..... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Addict

pulling a 258.....

yeah yeah, kind of a n00b question, but whats the best way to lift a 258 I6?

i want to pull the whole drivetrain as a unit, how is it best supported? can i run a chain through the intake? a buddy suggested running a strap under the oilpan or through the motor mounts...

thanks for the suggestions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:04 PM

Re: pulling a 258.....

What you really want are a couple good lifting links that you bolt down to the intake, or heads, preferable in 2 places on each link. That way you can run some chains or straps from them to the cherry picker at whatever lengths (therefore angle) that you want.. Or even something like this:

Bolt this down to the intake, and pluck away..

Justin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1339573-ACFw8jZyk[1].jpg (9.3 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I wouldn't run a chain, cable, strap, or sling, in, around or through anything. I bolt the ends of the chain to the block and run a long bolt through the chain to form a loop for the hoist hook. Bolting to the block keeps it from out of twisting or falling. The loop for the hoist hook keeps it from slipping fore or aft on the hook.

There is also a nice adjustable bar that you can rent when you get the engine hoist. It has chains on the ends to bolt to the engine and a screw drive to adjust the center of gravity under the hoist hook. I've never used one of these so I can't comment on their use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Addict

yeah, i have one of those lifting plates that bolts to the intake, but being that the carb sits off the side of the 6 vs on top of a v8 i figured the motor would list heavily to the side once suspended.

i didnt see many easily accessible bolt holes to use, but i think you are right taz, that would be the safest way...

we have a hoist here, but it may be worth picking up one of those levelers @ harbor freight or something
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 10:17 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
whats the best way to lift a 258 I6?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I pulled the 6 from the cherokee I stripped, I used one bolt at the back right and one at the front left I think.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i want to pull the whole drivetrain as a unit,

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if a manual is easier or not but I would not do it again with an auto. I had a garage with a concrete floor, good lighting and a hoist but it was a bear. Would have been much easier to pull in pieces and that was with nothing but frame rails in front of the firewall.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 10:59 PM

I put a bolt in on the front and rear of the engine, i think i might have used a head bolt for one of them, i ran a chain between the two bolts, and hooked the chain to a hook on a chain hoist suspended from my garage i-beam, i lifted the egine, trans, and trans case a little and just rolled my jeep out, i pushed the jeep while my dad lifted and wiggled so nothing would hang up on its way out. We did this in one night, it worked well, and was physically very easy, and we just used a chain hoist, no fancy stands or engine pullers.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 11:46 PM
Can't Get Enough

Grape,

I just did this operation a few months back, and will be doing at least two more in the next week or so... by my lonesome. Here's how I'll do it next time after learning a few painful/frustrating 'lessons' on my first go-'round:

1. Remove front bumper/grill/radiator support.

2. Engine leveler contraptions are about $25.00 @ Harbor Freight; Tractor Supply's run about $40 - basically no difference in operation or quality. Or, you can rent one. Either way (renting/buying), worth the cost if you're pulling it as a one-man show. Suggest you connect one leveler chain to rearmost manifold bolt/stud and another to someplace on front right of block - (I forget what bolt or hole I hooked to).

3. I used an engine hoist and it worked great when pulling 258 &amp; T-5 together. (Reinserting 258 &amp; [much heavier] TF-999 in same CJ was likewise pretty easy.) I think the additional weight/length of transfer case makes it unnecessarily difficult to do entire drivetrain at once. Plus, the t/c is pretty easy to unbolt (and bolt up) from underneath. Additional plus of pulling T/C seperate is you do not have to unhook the shift levers/linkage to get it out... I'm sure you would if you took it out still hooked to tranny &amp; engine.

4. Unbolting the frame cross member (7/8" rod?) under oil pan makes pulling the engine much easier - else the oil pan gets hung up on it.

5. Do y'self a big favor, and take your Jeep down to the carwash and degunk it good before pulling the engine - you'll be glad you did. I did not, and soon realized the wisdom in doing so.

6. If you haven't already, get some nitrile gloves to keep your hands much cleaner. I wear light cotton or Jersey gloves over the nitrile to avoid ripping/tearing 'em. (Maybe wussy, but what I save in hand cleaners, soap and scrub brushes more than pays for the gloves... not to mention the time saved on cleanup.)

Godspeed in your work! If I can do it, anyone can! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Addict

front stuff is all removed, everything disconnected, fairly clean

i think ill pick up a leveller this afternoon. for 25 bucks, why not?

all shifters and linkage have been removed, so ill try it with the t-case on there. ill have a buddy on hand to help if necessary.

good thinking on that rod/crossmember thing under the oil pan.

i usually use mechanix gloves to keep my hands pretty for the ladies.

thanks for all the input. hopefully ill remember to take some pics of how its coming.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Addict

swapping the drivetrain over was uneventful. used a front bolt and a bellhousing bolt on the block, had my helper support the tcase, swung it into the new frame.

swapping the body over was another story. lots of work, but mostly done now.

stretched about 6", 44 front, 14 bolt rear, sprung over w/ 2" yj fronts, stock toy rears.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2004, 11:09 PM
Can't Get Enough

I pulled a 258 out of a '79 J-10 over the last couple of days. What I thought was going to be a quick-n-easy swap into my Scrambler, has been anything but...

Broken bolts in block (unnoticed 'til pulled), wrong bolts (not studs [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]) at outlet of exhaust manifold, [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]traffic to machine shop to have flywheel resurfaced, and a million unrelated other distractions has me w-a-a-y behind where I wanted to be right now.

[Note to self: You've got to allow 5x the time you think it's gonna take for any Jeep repair/mod/upgrade/procedure! WHY? can you NOT get that through that pea brain [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] of yours?! [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]]

On the positive side, I am getting pretty good in using easy-outs! [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I'd also take this opportunity to thank the person who came up w/ the angle grinder invention... what a blessing that device is! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img] How I survived for 42 years w/o that handy-dandy gizmo is an absolute wonder. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode