Shackle concept - overengineered? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Shackle concept - overengineered?

I'm looking for stability in my shackle lift. Since I'm fabing them myself, I can make them anyway I want. Is this too much? The stock shackles are 4 inches between the bolts, so I'm adding an additional 4 inches of lift. Would the second, 1.5 inch box cross piece make it more sturdy or is it just overkill. I've seen a few shackles this long end up distorted over time due to side-to-side movement. Thoughts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1339494-shackle.jpg (57.5 KB, 70 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 05:45 PM

Re: Shackle concept - overengineered?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
The stock shackles are 4 inches between the bolts, so I'm adding an additional 4 inches of lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked for it [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
I think you are asking for trouble with that long of shackle.

Are you going to do anything with the other end of the spring or are you just going to take your tow-in and steering geometry and toss it out the window?
This will make it very hard to keep going straight down the road.

Also what about the pinion angle on the rear with this long of shackle? MMMM ,,wait that actually may improve if you already have a small lift.

A side from that you are going to have a lot of slop from side to side unless to torque the bejesus out of the shakle bolts,,, then you loose the articulation due to the tight bolts wont let springs move freely.

All of that said and done with an 8" long shackle you will only get 2" lift over stock height.

4" stock
Add 4" = 2" lift because you are only moving 1 side of the spring [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:02 PM

If I had to fabricate something like that, I think I'd box it in entirely for strength. I'd weld 4 pieces of flat together and leave the two longer ends exposed for the shackle bolts, spring eye and shackle mount on frame.

That said, a shackle twice as long as stock will put twice as much load on the shackle mount and frame. Do you think your old jeep can take it? I wouldn't do it. As well, the considerations mentioned above are legitimate and may require correction to the changed angles.

I think a slightly longer shackle, say 1.5 to 2" longer than stock is a cheap way to gain an (3/4) inch. That, combined with a body lift and or some fender trimming, and you should be able to fit some bigger tires, if that is what you are after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 06:17 PM

holy gay shackles batman.
dont cheap out, buy lift leaf springs and a run a 1" or 2" longer shackle so it flexes better.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Okay, okay... I knew what the answers would be before I asked em... I'm not going to go with that much length but still wonder if it makes any sense to double up the cross pieces within the limits of the spring eye dimensions. I just don't want these things splaying in or out... with about 3/4 of an inch and the existing body lift, I should have plenty of room for 33s and don't have enough flex to worry about stuffing the fenders.... yet.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 07:44 PM

Steve
I dont know what your body lift is but I have been running 33x12.50 tires on my rig for years with with a 2.5 suspension lift and 2" body lift with the stock length shackles with no body contact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode