Roll cage dimensions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Roll cage dimensions?

Ive seen a lot of members here post some nice pics of some great home-brewed cages. As I contemplate starting a cage for my '86 CJ7 I was wondering... Has anyone kept track of their measurements and angles? If so, please post your dimensions. Any tips like, <font color="red">I wish I would have done that different,</font color> would also be appreciated.

It would be nice to see what others have done (more than pics, that is), or would do different, as I begin the layout.

Im using 2 x 0.120 DOM plan to build front and rear cages off the existing bar... sort of like JP4EVER's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:14 AM

Re: Roll cage dimensions?

It seems that this crew isn't real strong on documentation. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I've got the shop drawings for everything I've ever made for my CJ.

BTT for ya.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:52 AM

I'll have to dig out the measurements for the CJ cages I have done, but I never go off of them, as the tolerances of all pre D/C jeeps, but the CJs were especially horrible.

Also, taking into account the fact that the tub on a CJ isn't very strong torsionally, and that most of them don't have the original floors, it's hard to nail down on set of measurements for them. (The 'glass bodies are even worse- I just fought with one to put a cage in, only to find that the reason I was having so much difficulty was because the cowl section leaned towards the driver's side)

2" will end up giving you a larger radius on the bends, making it harder to make a front hoop while still keeping the outside spreaders away from your head. I like to match the angle of the side of the windsheild frame as well as the angle it leans back, but this makes for a much harded cage than a pair of 90 degree bends with a kick to match the windshield.

Running two bars forward from the main hoop forward and down to the floor is the easiest way to build off the main hoop, but it isn't as strong in a side roll, and it can put the bars fairly close to your head.

If you are planning on doing a family style cage in the back, Ive found it to be easier to use a late YJ main hoop and build off of that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:54 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
as the tolerances of all pre D/C jeeps

[/ QUOTE ]

Diamler bought Chrysler in 1998. The TJ was introduced in late 1996 and designed by Chrysler. What are you referring to as pre-D/C?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 03:03 PM

The ones that weren't built by D/C, silly.

If you want to include the '97 in that, that's fine with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode