Your opinions on transfer case to use - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Your opinions on transfer case to use

Hi, I will be gettin ready to put that chevy 350 (about 300 hp) with a 700 r4 trans and I presently have the Dana Spicer 20 transfer case in my 75 cj-5. My question is with the Spicer 20, how many of u are running one & how does it hold up. Would anyone have some advise on a better type transfer case for my situation if the 20 isnt stout enough.
I appreciate anyones & everyones input very much. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:09 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Your opinions on transfer case to use

First the disclaimer: I don't mess with automatics! That's just how I am.

But it seems to me in a conversation I had no interest in, so was just half listening, I was told that there is a version of the 700R4 that bolts directly to an Atlas (so also D300) and all of the 4.3L GM motors. The topic seemed to be the best way to stuff a 4.3L in your Rock Crawler and keep the Atlas. It also seems to me that if it fits a 4.3L it will also fit the newer SBC V8's.

While is would be logical at this point to give you a link to Advanced Adapters, well ok I will.

Advance Adapters Atlas Transfer Case

They make the Atlas... pretty much a D300 improved and gone to the next level. Some people say it's the only way to go... while others say it's grumpy and hard to shift.

Now my point is that there are lots of D300 cases out there just laying around but are compatible or adaptable to late model automatics. While more complicated the D300 takes the same space and provides a bit smoother operation over the D20 (best I can remember - so I'm told).

I haven't driven anything with a D20 in years but have a many D300's and one grumpy Atlas.

Now here are a couple of more links to help you figure out where you want/need to go.

Adapting the TH700R4 / 4L60 to the Models 18 & 20 Transfer Cases

Adapting the TH700R4 / 4L60 to the Model 300 Transfer Case

As stated but could be wrong... there is a TH700R4 version that will bolt directly to a D300 (or Atlas), while some of the TH700R4 versions need a conversion kit. Why else would Novak make the kit.

Anyway... I'm guessing that if you poke around the web sites and maybe even call Advanced Adapters and/or Novak Conversions you will have so much information that your head will either explode or glow with knowledge and direction.

Do not waste any time thinking about it if you want to rebuild a D300 and need a parts kit. Hands down best price for bearings, gaskets and the most complete kit I have seen anywhere, use the Novak site and just order it. Wish that I had my search hours back on that subject.

Have I rambled enough?? Well I hope enough that you find the setup that you want.

Dale

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Old Hand

IMHO, unless your buying or building a beefed 700r4, the D20 will hold up to as much punishment as the tranny will. Yes there are stronger t-cases, but the Dana 20 isn't bad. There is a beefed output shaft kit available that might not be bad to look into.

If you think you need something stronger, like stated above the Atlas is as boss as you can go. Otherwise np205's are bullet proof, but have a high low range. I like D300's a lot, but I don't know if there is enough of a strength difference to justify the switch from a D20. np241's are chain drive, but have seemed to have a very reliable service record, and may bolt directly to your 700r4 (although I'm not sure).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 05:58 PM
Addict

Are you extending the wheelbase? You are going to end up with an awfully short drive shaft with a 700R tranny in a CJ5. I have heard of it being done, but it requires a CV shaft and a bit of luck. Also, you will need to keep the lift to a bare minimum.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

How are you going to cool your new 350. If you use an electric fan, and you really cram the Rad as far forward as you can, you can buy a couple of inches of rear drive shaft.

If I were you I would try and get a D300. There are a lot out there, They are easy to work on, there are a lot of aftermarket parts. And for me it is just the Transfer case of choise.
You may want to rethink a little, and maybe use a shorter trans. I think, (but am not totally sure) that going with a T350 trans will buy you a few inches.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 10:49 PM

The 20 will hold up just fine, but doesn't have a very low low range. (Basically about the same as the 205- 2.0to1)

The D300 has around a 2.6to1 low range, which will help your crawl considerably.

That said, the 700R4 is a fairly long tranny, and the CJ5 is a very short Jeep. Fitting all that driveline in is going to be tough. I have friends who have swapped SBCs in early '5s, and they had a rough time with the rear driveshaft. Granted, the early CJ5 is about 2.5" shorter, but they were using a TH350, not a 700R4.

If there is a 700R4 that swaps to a D300 without an adapter, that would probably be your best bet for making it fit.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 11:07 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
If there is a 700R4 that swaps to a D300 without an adapter, that would probably be your best bet for making it fit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know... I'm the one that suggested that there might be a 700R4 that would bolt directly to a D300. But the more I think about that... the more I think I'm wrong. The Atlas has a couple of different input shaft options and the mounting is also just alittle different but will fit anything that came with a D300 (and more - that's where I could have been fooled).

I haven't done a bit of research to back up this thought. I'm sure that if you contact Advanced Adapter or Novak they will be more than willing to set this straight. And likely there are others out there with some of the same products, these two seem to have a pretty good rep.

You should be able to come up with an overall lenght as soon as you figure out the parts that will be fitting together.

Still have some budget??

Get the shaft(s) from Jess!

High Angle Driveline

Keep in mind that he likes to call a Cardin Coupling a CV Joint. But based on what I have seen of his work he can call it Green Cheese and it just don't matter. Very nice driveshafts that just don't break. Not on my junk mind you... other people have bucks to play with.

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode