O/T Stupid or a lesson learned!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

O/T Stupid or a lesson learned!!!

Well I have two boys that think they need to be able to carry pocket knives because they think they need them at their grandfathers Feed Store!!!!
Needless to say they bought me a new knife and it is one of those new lock back style knives that Im not to fond of the begain with!!! Yesterday afternoon I was using it as a screwdriver on the little screw on the end of the winch cord when it decided to fold across my index finger!!! That was dumb!!!
I had to go to the E-room with it being Sunday and got me seven stitches between the middle and lower nuckle. Im usually quick to use super glue and some butterflies but this went to the bone and at an angle so it opened up quite a bit.
Anyway, when I got home from the E-Room they both walked up to me and said, Here dad you can take our knives, we don't want them.... So I think it was a lesson learned for the three of us. Im just glad it was me that got the stitches and not one of them!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 07:18 PM

Re: O/T Stupid or a lesson learned!!!

A lock blade knife shouldn't have collapsed. What brand is it?

Apparently you didn't cut a tendon, and that's a good thing. Hope you heal with no loss of function. Probably cut your strong hand, too. That's a bummer. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

It's not one of the older lock blade style, it's what they call a lock back!! It is a schrade brand and when you open the blade the is a piece of metal on the inside that slides over behind the blade and when your done you push the lock over and the blade releases!!! Im geussing when the screw became tight, it caused the knife blade to twist just a little and clear it from the lock.. I realy don't want to try it again and see if that was the case...
This style of knife might actualy have a different name but thats just what I have heard people call them!! I can still bend my finger slightly until the stitches get tight so Im thinking no tendon damage. The doctor had me bend and wiggle the finger before he would stitch it. The slice runs more down the side of my finger and not across!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

First things first I gotta say that using a knife as a screwdriver wasn't very smart. I'm sure you know to use the right tool for the right job. Think of knives the same way you do guns..........a gun is always loaded and never point it at anything you don't wanna kill, and a knife is never locked and don't aim at anything you don't wanna slice. The style of knife you're talking about is commonly referred to as a liner lock style. I've had one knife of that style have the issue you mentioned and it was a Buck. I never cut myself with it but I have given myself stitches before when I wasn't being smart with a knife. I could see the tendon movin in my finger after I cut it. So as long as you're smart with knives they are great tools to have. I carry one everywhere I go unless they don't allow me to, maybe thats why I'm knifeboy.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 08:23 PM

Ive' got to agree with Knifeboy2 completely, but now I know Im not the only one who sometimes (has to) improvise a little.Sure it was stupid, but we all do it. Glad it wasnt your boys & hope u heel quick. I have a feeling u will remember it evey time u use that hand for a while [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 07:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I would NOT let an instance of carelessness change the notion that a man's GOT to have a knife on him at all times. Those kids are not too young, and there are knives around that are perfect for them to carry. My first knife had a Lone Ranger (from the radio series of that name....TV was not yet a factor in entertainment) logo, and it had two blades. Not REAL sharp, but just enough for my needs at eight years of age. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I had a pocket knife with me when I got married.... you never know what you might need one for... [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I learned something very important about knives 6mos ago:

If you drop one, do not go with you natural instinct to catch it! A knife is cheaper than a injury.

I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek around with me everywhere, love it, best made folder I have ever used.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Mud in my Veins

I'd have to say .... BOTH! and ditto the mistake in use.

I'm with CJD...been carrying a pocketknife since CubScouts and have at least 1 on my person at all times (other than 13 weeks @ Paradise Island & when in the bed [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])...like he said...you never know when you'll it
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 01:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

My seven yr old got his first knife last Christmas... or was it his 7th BD (w/in a week of one another [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]). Anyhow, I see/saw it (much to his mother's horror/resistance) as a 'rite of passage' for the boy, and will do likewise w/ his brothers as they demonstrate the requisite judgment and responsibility.

Personally, I am disappointed he cannot carry it as we did when I was his age... [most] everywhere he goes. But in today's culture a seven yr old w/ a knife can only indicate one thing.... abusive/neglectful/unsafe parenting, soon to be followed by a school massacre, or some other such tragedy. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I'm with CJD...been carrying a pocketknife since CubScouts and have at least 1 on my person at all times (other than 13 weeks @ Paradise Island &amp; when in the bed )...like he said...you never know when you'll [need] it

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true, but just don't forget: <font color="red"> NEVER, EVER </font color> make the mistake of taking (only) a knife to a gunfight! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Thorjeep, I carry a the same Kershaw as you and love it. I do have a question though, have you broken the saftey lock yet? I droped mine while closed about a week after I got it and it was gone. Just curious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode