mc2100 install, black smoke when I punch it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

mc2100 install, black smoke when I punch it?

I just installed my MC2100 on my 1986 258 about 3 weeks ago. The jeep runs very well, awesome idle. If I am crusing in say 4th gear and punch the throttle I can notice in the mirror that I am getting a large amount of black exhaust. I think it is a power valve but looking for feedback.

As a side is I did a modified version of the TR ignition upgrade. Ford distributor cap, new 8mm wires, and an MSD Blaster 2 coil (canister style). The issue is with the MSD coil I get a "pop/hesitation" under acceleration in all gears. It goes away with a stock coil. Thoughts---, I have been wondering if it is because I am really rich.

Specs.

#48 Jets
Choke is locked open (to not be a factor in determining problem)
Timing at 8-9 base, and the advance is working but not sure of total advance

33's with 3:31 gears and runs about 2000 rpms at 55-60 when I punch the throttle and get the black smoke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: mc2100 install, black smoke when I punch it?

Try knocking your accerltor(SP) pump back a hole and see if the smoke goes away.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:07 AM
Way Outta Control

Re: mc2100 install, black smoke when I punch it?

Could be overall rich, not just acceleration. The black smoke / carbon collects in the exhaust system, when you punch it it blows all the junk out. Start with the accel pump notches first tho.

The popping backfire with the MSD coil - that coil no doubt needs full 12 volts to it -- the stock module uses an ignition resistor - limiting applied voltage to around 7-9v.
You are running out of available secondary voltage.

To test that, hot wire a jumper wire from battery (+12) to the (+) side of the coil. If the problem goes away, that's it.
You can eliminate the stock ignition resistor but the module will overheat and fail eventually.

Best way go to the remote HEI module, or an MSD system.

Also make sure the plug wires don't run parallel for much more than 6" or so -- pretty looks good but doesn't work - too much cross induction. Ugly works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode