UHMW ok for body lift spacers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

UHMW ok for body lift spacers?

I think it ought to be plenty strong enough, durable, and it's pretty darn cheap too.
I'm getting a set of tires just a little too big for my current setup, and can't afford to lift any more right now. I looked into body lifts, but they are a lot of $$ for no more than they are. My OEM mounts are in good shape, so all I need is spacers and new fasteners.
I can get enough black UHMW for a 1" boost for under $10, so I was just looking for a little input from some materials guys more knowledgable than I am. That shouldn't be too hard to find. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 10:29 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: UHMW ok for body lift spacers?

I'll bite?? Would of depend on WTH your talking about...
UHMW means Ultra High Molecular Weight and theres dozens (hundreds even) of plastics that are described that way. Find out what your getting for that $10 and we can steer from there.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Well crap. Thanks, Dave.
My simple question just got a lot tougher.
The only type of UHMW we use at the shop is polyethyline(sp?), I think. Is this also broken into a lot of different animals? I think we always get the same stuff, and I guess we just generically refer to it as UHMW internally.
I guess that's why I came here with this question.
What else should I find out about what I'm getting to make a good or poor choice? I figured temp range and oil resistance, which our engineers said should be ok for me with what we buy.
Forgive an idiot. I don't design the stuff, I just inspect it and write procedures for building it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 07:45 AM

That stuff is pretty slippery, isn't it? If the pucks slide around much they might cause problems. Also they aren't going to compress much, the way rubber will. That will promote fatigue cracking around them in the body.

I'd recommend that you look for something with more give.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 09:15 AM
Can't Get Enough

The same can also be said for the polyurethane bushings. As far as the fatigue cracking goes, you're gonna get that from just about anything except not as much with rubber. Ask me how I know this after just putting polyurethane on my 30 year old CJ.....the mounts are pulling thru the floor in a coupla places. I'm gonna just cut out the old floor pans in the front and replace with 1/8" sheet metal......that'll fix that problem
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:56 AM

There is a wide range of hardness in urethane, from skateboard wheels to something similar to a tire. The urethane mounts I used seemed to be about the same hardness as the 25-year old stock mounts I took out.

With body lift mounts being taller, they should probably be harder too, to keep the body from squirming around so much. I've never thought much of those kits with two or three inch thick rubber mounts.

It occurs to me that perhaps the best body lift kit would be a set of stock rubber mounts, or eurethan mounts of similar hardness, and then 1" thick aluminum biscuits to go between the mount and the frame, with correspondingly longer bolts.

Even better would be to use pieces of steel channel an inch tall and two inches wide, to weld onto the frame, effectively raising the frame mounts by an inch. Or two, if you're into that sort of thing.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
stock rubber mounts and then 1" thick aluminum biscuits to go between the mount and the frame, with correspondingly longer bolts.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I had in mind, only was interested in using the cheapest, yet safe and effective, material that I could use.
I overlooked the "slipperyness" of UHMW. Do you think that will be an issue, Jim? Sandwiched between the frame and the stock OEM mount? I'm sure the UHMW/Rubber surface will be fine, but what about the steel/UHMW contact surface?
Oh, and do you know exactly what material I'm talking about? In our shop we just say UHMW. I had no idea there were so many other materials described this way. I guess that's what I get for thinking. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 12:42 PM

I also have only heard of the UHMW label applied to polyethelyene, but am not surprised that it covers a bunch more materials.

As for slipperyness, I used small pieces of 1/16" UHMW polyethelyene sheet to make new way wipers for my old lathe. I can't say how slippery it really was in that application, but it showed no signs of wear after ten years or so.

If the frame horns are rough/rusty, the plastic biscuits will conform to the roughness and pretty well stay put. I was more worried about it sliding against the body mounts, because they're more likely to be smooth.

When I did the restoration I cut 3/8" &amp; 1/4" polyethelyene shims for a few of the mounts. That stuff is waxy-slippery, and I haven't seen them move any on the frame horns.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

This is what I had in mind. (see attached)
When you say worried about slipping against the "body mounts", were you refering to the tub, or the rubber mount itself? Wouldn't the rubber hold it's place against most anything? I also don't like the placement of the puck against the tub as purchased body lift spacers are instructed to be placed.
Sorry to badger you, Jim. I just want to learn and understand.
Oh, and I had planned on using a dremel to "gnurl" the frame mount perches to improve grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1338743-BL-06.jpg (29.0 KB, 29 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 02:04 PM
Old Hand

the body lift that was used in my jeep is just a hard plastic, i dont see why it wouldnt work for ya jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode