Will Bestop soft doors work with factory hard top - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Will Bestop soft doors work with factory hard top

I have been trying to locate and answer in the archives with not real luck. My CJ is not a daily driver and really won't be driven in the winter here in NY. In the summer it sits in the garage with the top off. I have a factory hardtop and just installed a yj tub and repainted it. My factory hard doors are crap and don't wont to use them on the "brand new" exterior. If I got soft doors, I can use them with my bikini top in the summer if I got caught in the rain and on the hardtop if I have to back it outside or take it for a brief trip in the winter. I may buy a Bestop later on but right now it isn't a big deal. I am not cheap, but I don't see the benefit for me buying a new used set of hard doors and having them painted when they won't be used 90% of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:52 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Will Bestop soft doors work with factory hard top

Call Quadratec or 4 Wheel Drive Hardware and they can tell you whether or not they'll work.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Will Bestop soft doors work with factory hard

No they can't...both told me that I could use the Bestop Full Soft Doors with my Hard top on my YJ...ordered them up. And, they don't fit. They do not fit into the reccessed opening in the hard top (the uppers are longer, front to back). Keep in mind, this is on my YJ...but I think it's all the same with the CJ-7.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 01:42 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I guess I was wrong about that. I've always had good luck calling either when I had a question of that sort. Thanks for the headsup. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 01:48 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Other than that one ooppps, both have always had good answers. I think that Bestop is mostly to blame...All the adverts that I see are very carefull to not say ANYTHING about them fitting or NOT fitting the factory hard top...many of the adds make it sound as though it will fit, but it never says that it will.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I think that Bestop is mostly to blame...All the adverts that I see are very carefull to not say ANYTHING about them fitting or NOT fitting the factory hard top...many of the adds make it sound as though it will fit, but it never says that it will.

[/ QUOTE ]

They keep things vague on purpose. I had to talk to them 3 times to get them to admit that the stuff they sell WILL work with my TJ. There was nothing to indicate that their aftermarket line was identical to the OEM line that they make for DC. I kept looking for a "WILL FIT" or "WILL NOT FIT"...nowhere to be found. Finally someone stated that their aggreement with DC prohibits them from "marketing" their stuff as being compatible (in the TJ line). Apparently the concept bleeds over to the rest of their products.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

TJ 2-piece soft doors will work. I use them on my Scrambler with the halfcab hardtop. You need to get a set of YJ handles and install them in the TJ doors and you will be set. The weatherstipping is a little thick on the TJ doors, but it will compress with time. I ordered the TJ doors from Krage Motorsports(jeepdoc.com). When they arrived I called Bestop customer service and told them that I needed a set of YJ door handles. They sent them to me for free. I think I got lucky on that one. Anyone who says they won't work hasn't tried it. I spent the $$$ to find out for myself.

Later,
Tom
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:25 PM
Official Historian

I can tell you toward the end of october when the soft top comes off and the hard top goes back on.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I may bight the bullet and go with the TJ doors and see what happens. I called and emailed Bestop and got the same response from the reps about using soft doors with a hard top....you are SOL. Due to Chrysler....blaa blaa blaa.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 05:05 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Not what you're looking for, but there are uppers that fit with the hardtop. These are Steel Horse, I bought them new as blems on ebay. The lowers are fiberglass that I modified to accept the uppers.

Make sure you watch for the dog leg at the rear to fit the hardtop when buying or they won't fit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode