2"-3" lift steering geometry correction questions. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

2\"-3\" lift steering geometry correction questions.

i am looking into buying and installing a 2"-3" suspension lift on my cj7. If i get a 3 inch lift, i can get a 3 inch dropped pitman arm, but i would rather have a 2" lift, for a better ride. What will handel better, in terms of steering, a 2" lift w/ a steering stabilizer, or a 3" lift w/ a 3 inch dropped pitman and a steering stabilizer? Is there a noticable difference between a 2" and 3" lift in terms of ride caracteristics?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 03:41 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 2\"-3\" lift steering geometry correction questions.

Read here about the geometry. If you only change to a dropped arm, you'll get bumpsteer. No matter how high you go, keep the trac bar and drag link about parallel.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:36 AM

I think that Nix means tie rod and drag link need to be parallel.

Most CJ and YJ lift kits are springs with more arch, and some have longer shackles too. As the spring gets more arch it will have less travel and give a bouncier ride. Likewise, as the front shackles get longer, the caster will decrease and the steering will lose its straight-ahead stability.

Also, anything that takes the drag link off of horizontal will cause bump steer. The greater the angle, the greater the bump steer. A steering damper won't remove bump steer, although it might mask it aq little.

A 3" lift with a 3" drop pitman arm should have the same steering geometry as stock. But the few I've ridden in have a pretty nasty ride. And it's not a firm ride like a sports car, it's more like being on a pogo stick, with a lot of fore and aft pitching thrown in.

I don't think that I've ever ridden in a Jeep with a 2" lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks for the help. My friend has a cj5 w/ a 3 inch suspension lift, and i dont think it rides too bad, i mean its not luxurios, but hey, it's a cj! All i am really concerned about is maintaning good steering w/ a mild lift, so i think i will probably go w/ 3 inch, so i can get a dropped arm, and return the geometry to factory.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 11:03 AM

If you're only looking to increase 2 inches... do a body lift and leave the steering geometry alone. Its a whole lot easier to go up on pucks than it is to make all the necessary corrections... best part is, stock shocks still work and no extra bounce.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Can't Get Enough

If you are keeping your dana 30 front axle you can build some new tie rod and drag links using hiem joints that go ontop of the knuckle's steering arm. I made ones using heims w/ a 5/8 bolt - drilled out the tapper in the knuckle - and some DOM tube to put everything up on top. This will get your steering almost back to stock proportions when using a small lift withouth using a dropped pitman arm and helps eliminate bump steer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode