Oil smells like fuel! Why? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 02:49 PM
mde

Oil smells like fuel! Why?

I'm running a rebuilt 258 with about 8000 miles. I noticed the other day while checking the level that it stunk of fuel. There was also quite a bit of metal at the end of the dip stick. I'm trying to problem solve but I'm sure you guys can think of some senarios that might have contributed to this. What should I be looking for? I'm honestly not sure how long this has been going on, because I havn't smelt the oil before. I never did see any metal like I did just recently. I do change the oil quite often.
As far as I know the only way fuel can get to the oil is past the rings, right? If so what are the causes? Hopefully this hasn't been going on long enough to cause too much damage. Hope you guys can shed some light on this situation.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 03:11 PM

Re: Oil smells like fuel! Why?

Fuel pump on the side of the block could leak fuel into the block.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 05:44 PM
HoJoPo

I agree with the fuel pump leaking fuel into the block. Had my '82 AMC Eagle (4.2L I6) do that, the thing stopped running due to the lack of compression, and caught fire back by the catalytic converter due to the oil leak (easy to put out though).

Drained the 3 gallons (12 quarts) of oil / gasoline out of the engine, replaced the oil filter and put in 5 quarts of good oil, replaced the fuel pump, and it was good to go. Ran better than ever actually, and the oil was cleaner for much longer... really de-gunked the engine.

-Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 08:00 PM

I agree too. Same thing happened on my 85 CJ7. Gas ended up squirting out around the oil filter. It eventually squirted on somehting hot and caught fire. That's when I started carrying the fire extinguishers. The diaphram in the fuel pump can (and does) break. This allows fuel to dump in to the pan/block.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If there is metal in your oil pan it would probably not be a bad Idea to take off the oil pan, and clean it out. You don't want your oil pump pickup getting plugged up with metal shavings.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:40 AM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but I think you have over-looked the obvious. I hope you got a good warranty on your re-build, because gasoline makes a very BAD lubricant! If you have enough metal shaving in the motor that they were sticking to the dipstick, you have to ask were did it come from. Unfortunately the answer is from all your new bearing, rings, and cylinder walls. The gas has washed the bearings, and now everything in the motor has been running metal to metal. The result of this is extremely shortened engine life (if not totally ruined). If you do pull the pan, you should pull some bearing caps and check the bearings for damage. I hope i am wrong, and you caught it in time. Good luck!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 11:21 AM
mde

Would it mean anything to you guys if I told you that it takes at least 10 cranks to actuall start the damn thing. I initially thought it was my timming, however, on another forum someone mentioned that it may be my carb leaking into the intake. Is this a possibility. Thanks guys!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:03 PM

I honestly would say that the fuel pump is failing. They are easy to replace and fairly cheap. Couldn't hurt to get a new one.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 12:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
if I told you that it takes at least 10 cranks to actuall start the damn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This could flush with the bad fuel pump theory. Most of us are so used to electric fuel pumps that we've forgotten that it was a basic mandatory swap during a rebuild. You would not be the first, by any means, that would dump fuel into the crankcase via a shot diaphram. Then again ...when this was done as common practice ...most of you were still in diapers or not even born yet. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Be thankful that you don't have a vintage 'Vette with a high mounted tank. A bad fuel pump just fills the crankcase with gas. Always nice with the weight of a full tank. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode