Brakes? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Brakes?

I hear a rattling noise when I'm backing up and think it is the back brakes. I pull off the drums and find that I have 1/8 to 3/16th of an inch on the shoes. Is that ok? Sometimes the rattling can make the Jeep vibrate a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 12:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Brakes?

The noise is when you apply the brake (while backing)? Or is it when you start to backup? Maybe all the time when you back up?

Ever have any noise when going forward?

I've broke more brakes than reasonable... describe that noise. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Dale
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

It's hard to describe it. Click click click. Sometimes it never does it, sometimes it is all the time I'm in reverse. If I hit the brakes or put a small amount of preasure on the brakes then it quits. That is why I'm ruling out the rear end or tranny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 01:14 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Judge the brake shoes by the rivets... meat on those shoes well above the rivets? that may not be the problem anyway. U-Joint ?

Check the driveshaft and U-Joints... got grease? any slop?

Really doesn't take long to remove a driveshaft and be more than sure. Now if you were to describe a squeeky squeeky as you start to backup.... I'd be completely sure that's where you should look.

Clicking is a rather mild sound in my hearing range. Best to set it up on some jackstands and just look around, and it never hurts to move, turn and shake things.

Did you notice that at least a couple of us are going to Badlands on the 28th?? Wanna come?? Very welcome to.

Dale
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 02:13 AM
Keyboard Implanted

BRakes are cheap if you do them yourself. The jack stand recomendation is a good Idea, course last set of bad breaks I replaced sounded like a bad tooth in the rear all the time, big chunck of solid rust had fallen into the grove on top of the cylnder,,,, Sounded like something broke.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

I didn't hear the noise at all today and every one thought I was crazy for backing up all over the parking lot. Get home and first thing I hear when backing into the garage is the noise. I think I will change the shoes this weekend.

I would love to go to the badlands on the 28th but we already had plans to do some of the Knobstone down by Liotta.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 10:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Every time I have had a U-Joint go bad on the rear driveshaft (of whatever junk pile) the first indication was some sound as I backed up. Don't forget to check that out, it's no fun when it's so far gone that the rear of your Jeep jumps up and down when you get over 40mph.

Dale
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 12:21 PM

I'm going to the cliffs tomorow if you want to go, it's in merissiles IL, probably not too far from you. Good luck with the brakes isn't that thing almost brand new?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode