Off Roading Forums banner

Project Pics

829 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  nathanvoth 
#1 ·
I wanted to post a few pics of my project, outboarded dana 44's, SOA, High steering, Detroits, I can't wait to hit the desert. I know I am probably going to get some slack about the trusses being low but I don't do much rock crawling.

nate

web page

#3 ·
That looks like some really nice work. I like that Truss, and the outboard/shackel reversal.
How much lift is that, and what size tires are you going to run? That does look like it is going to be a lot of fun. Nice work.

#4 ·
You all forget that in the picture the suspension is fully drooped out, their is no weight on the springs. I used stock/JC Whitney springs which came out to be about 6" of lift. I have 36's and beadlocks going on this weekend. I don't think I will have a problem with roll over, the axles are about 4" wider than stock, 2" per side, which will give me a wider foot print and make the vehicle more stable. I also built a new rear bumper with tire, jack and Jerry can mount. All in all my rig was down for about 3.5 months. I am just glad to have it up again.

Nate

#7 ·
I bet it took 3 1/2 months just to grind the housing down to weld on that perch. What did you weld it with - did you preheat the housing, then post heat the weld to keep the cool down rates the same so there is no cracking of the weld? Just curious - might be in the same boat soon.

#8 ·
I used a high nickel rod, the only pre heating I did was leave it in the sun for a while and let it heat naturally. I had no problems and no cracks. I did not have to grind too much, the front axle is out of a wagoneer and the rear was out of a scoutII. I was suprised how well it welded.

The hardest part of the project was making sure everything was where it was supposed to go and the angles were correct. I am a bit of a perfectionist so that also may explain why it took so long..

Nate

#9 ·
No kits here, just looked at what was available and made it better. The outboarded brackets were not to difficult, I just incorporated them into the front bumper to make a really strong unit. The design is very similar to the Poison Spyder kit. I will put some other pics up tonight.

Nate

#11 ·
I used to work for a fabl shop that built desert trucks. I built everything to take a beating and that is what I did with the front and rear of my new set up. Probably overkill but oh well. I am still finishing up the loose ends, I will be working on the rear bumper this weekend and the york compressor set up next weekend...

Thanks for looking..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.