Justs quits running - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Justs quits running

I have a '84 Cj7, 258, Nutter bypass and a Weber carb. All of a sudden during warm up the engine dies. I can restart it but sometimes it will crank pretty long. This happens multiple times while it's cold. Once it's warmed up it's fine.

It's just as if the ignition's been turned off. But all my gauages stay on. It's getting gas, because I have one of those transparent fuel filters and it's full of gas. I always thought if the ignition module failed it would fail after it got hot.

I'm perplexed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 12:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Justs quits running

Ahhh well it takes three things... Fire, Fire Water and that other thing the we don't often give credit to - air.

If ya got air (very important), and ya got Fire Water (only $2.XX per gallon these days and going up) then there must be something funny with the Fire it's self (short or broken wires... smashed wires... burnt wires...). Lots and lots of reasons to be funky when cold (all Fords are hehe).

Add a little... someone will chime in.

Dale

EDIT: I like the nic too. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Addict

Since it is only happening cold I don't think it is electrical.

Do you have an electric choke? I have a Weber 32/36 and the electric choke on mine has been finicky to say the least. Pull the air filter (cold) and watch the choke operation to make sure it is working correctly. I suspect that the choke valves are not closing and creating enough vacuum to pull the fuel into the carb while it's cold.

Another thing that you mentioned, your clear fuel filter, makes me wonder. Does this filter have the 1 inlet/2 outlet design? It is my understanding that this type of filter needs to be used, with the lager outlet going to the carb and the smaller outlet, sitting at the top, going to the fuel return.

It is usually the simple things that are the cause of the problems. Start with the basics and work your way up. Easy to preach and not always easy to do (guilty as charged).

Good luck

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 09:43 AM
Way Outta Control

Modules can fail as they warm up -- especially Ford types. Most fail hot, but that's not a rule. The quit when they feel like it.
First you need to determine if it's spark (a lack thereof) or fuel.
Since you say it's a sharp cut-off, not sputter-sputter- die, then I'd suspect the module.
Next time it happens, check for a spark. If none, try a new module. Even if that's not it, it will be someday, then you'll have a spare.
Check the routing of the coil wire too - don't let it touch anything - look for whitish marks on it where it's been jumping through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode