Axle seal leaking, what am I doing wrong? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Axle seal leaking, what am I doing wrong?

Well after thinking I had the problem fixed for the second time its still leaking. So here's what I've done and someone please correct me if I'm screwin somethin up or missing a step.

1. I unhooked the brake lines from the backing plate
2. Unbolted backing plate from axle tube and pulled whole axle shaft out
3. Used a hammer and screwdriver to destroy old inner oil seal so I could get it
4. Pressed in new oil seal using a hammer and socket extension so it was in as far as it goes
5. Slid axle shaft back into housing with shims between the backing plate and the mounting surface for it
6. Bolted it all back up and filled up the housing with gear oil

It appears to be leaking out where the axle tube meets up with the shims and backing plate. The problem though is that it gets onto the brake drum and last I checked gear oil and brakes don't mix well. I was thinking of putting some high temp RTV between all of the shims and where the backing plate bolts up to stop the leaking. Is this a bad idea? Is there something I'm not doing right? Why is the oil getting past the inner oil seal? Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm moving into school tomorrow and am having to leave my Jeep behind since its not safely operating [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Gimme advice guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 09:04 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Axle seal leaking, what am I doing wrong?

My Moser shafts required using RTV between the backing plate and outer seal and between the shims and the axle housing!!! Thats Where mine was leaking !!!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Official Curmudgeon

I don't see where you coated the new seal with oil before installing the axle on your list.

An extension is a poor installation tool. Find a large socket that will just fit in the axle tube end. This helps get the seal installed squarely without distorting the seal.

Avoid scraping the axle across the seal when you reinstall it. If you do you'll ruin the seal.

Is the sealing surface on the axle clean and smooth?

Are you sure you have the right seal? Slip it on the axle, see how it fits.

I don't think much of the hammer and screwdriver removal method. If you have gouged the axle tube, you may be leaking around the seal rather than through it.

You shouldn't need RTV at the shims and backing plate. The oil should not get past the seal. You might put a light coat of RTV on the outside edge of the seal if you see scratches/gouges in the tube where the seal fits.

Try a different brand of seal. Try not quite seating it those last few thousandths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 10:59 PM
Old Hand

I have the same problem with my Moser inner and outer. I ended up using RTV on both sides of the backing plate. That worked, but it sure does not seam correct... I do not understand why both my left and my right inner axle seal would leak.

One note, I do not have any shims between the backing plate and the axle tube.

Mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 11:56 PM

I think you put rtv between the backing plate and other surfaces not to keep oil in, but to keep water from getting into the bearings.

I too have found leaking axle seals damned annoying. I put 1 pc axles in my amc20 and they still leaked. I have since changed to a dana44 with only an outer seal and things have been good for 2 years now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode