TJ Steering help needed. What/where tie rod ends? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

TJ Steering help needed. What/where tie rod ends?

I need a little advice on tie rod ends and possible steering upgrades. I've got a worn end on the tie rod where it connects to the drag link and the track bar end at the frame is loose too. It's making the steering a little loose, so needless to say I've parked it for the time being. I've found replacement ends for the tie rod, but can't seem to find the end for the track bar. So who has the stuff I need? I'd like some good quality ends, but have no knowledge of who makes good/bad ones. Any advice?
Also, what type of upgrades have any of you had luck with? The steering box has a small leak now too. Since the entire steering setup seems to be getting worn, I'd like to go with something that will last longer, since these only have about 30k miles on them. What do you all run/recommend?
Thanks,
Adam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:06 AM
Addict

Re: TJ Steering help needed. What/where tie rod ends?

If I remember right, the trackbar doesn't have replaceable ends. You need to replace the entire trackbar.

I don't have any input on the other questions, but this will get you back to the top.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:29 AM
Veteran

Re: TJ Steering help needed. What/where tie rod en

Yes, the factory trac bar is a one piece unit. I would think that an aftermarket, adjustable unit would be cheaper (and possibly better built) than another pactory trac bar. Just a thought.

Napa should have the tie rod ends, but why did they wear out so fast? You should get more than 30k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:55 AM
Can't Get Enough

I just replaced mine on my 97. I used the stuff from a 98 ZJ and bought it at napa. It is about 1/4" thicker on the ends and the shaft than the TJ and feels a heck of alot heavier. The passenger side end is 269-2788 the sleeve is 269 1134 and the other end main rod part is 269 6085. These are all napa part numbers and the total price was $92 before tax. It bolts up to the knuckle and drag link just fine.

Hope that helps..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

I should have mentioned that it is an aftermarket adjustable track bar. I found currie sells their "johnny joint" end, but it's almost $50. I guess if it's as good as they claim, it's worth it. Any other brands out there worth looking at?

On the end for the drag link, I found a standard one for $17.50, or the TRW brand for $25.00. That's in the jeep catalogs, auto parts stores want $35.00 for TRW. Is TRW a good name in tie rod ends?

As for them wearing out so quick, I'm not really surprised. I lifted the jeep at about 4k miles and had 35" swamper ssr's on it, then 37" boggers for about 6 months, then back to 35" mt/r's, so the steering is gettting a workout.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode