Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Driveshaft issues/limiting strap question (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/197690-driveshaft-issues-limiting-strap-question.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 08-18-2004 08:48 AM

Driveshaft issues/limiting strap question

Ok,

I've had the jeep off the road for a year now, did a tub swap, wiring, Pontiac helped me build a custom alum. dash, re-did the cage, etc, etc.

Finally getting towards the end. I built a flat skid plate and raised the drivetrain about 2 inches.

Buggy leaf in the rear and moved the axle back about 4inches. Now I have a huge angle on the driveshaft and not sure what to do. I was planning on using a cv shaft from a cherokee. Looking last night its not going to work if the axle drops any. But its ok at normal position.

Here's my question - I was planning on using limiting straps to keep the axle from dropping to far if the buggy is just way flexy. I was going to have one in the center and one at each end. Knowing that it will flex a lot.

If I was to limit the center from dropping maybe about 1 inch, would that affect the droop of the ends of the axles? The way I see it, the tires would still drop like crazy and the center section would just stay in the correct position...

Any suggestions besides buying a high angle shaft which is out of the budget at this time?

pbmcauliffe 08-18-2004 12:17 PM

Re: Driveshaft issues/limiting strap question

On the back of mine, I runa standar shaft, & use a short center limit strap (about 2" of slack) and a long one on each air shock to keep them within 1/2" of their travel. With one shock completely extended, and the other fully extended, the center limit strap is tight. A buddy put a center limit strap on his that was tight at ride height, and that did limit the droop at the wheel.

**DONOTDELETE** 08-18-2004 12:39 PM

Ok, so the idea is way out there then. I think what I might do is get the offset springs and move the axle back a few inches more to gain more room. Than try to use a stock cv shaft and limit it in 3 spots like your self.

Thanks. Any pics of your limit straps would be cool..

pontiac58 08-18-2004 08:14 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I've had the jeep off the road for a year now

[/ QUOTE ]

A year you better check that calendar again. [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]
But dont sweat, my bro in law is on at least 2 1/2 years and it was only going to take him 6 months max. HAHAHA Told ya it would take longer then you thought.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Pontiac helped me build a custom alum. dash

[/ QUOTE ]

Which kicks a$$ by the way. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]