Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Help a Jeep Newbie on Lift vs. Tire Size (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/197684-help-jeep-newbie-lift-vs-tire-size.html)

N7TX 08-17-2004 11:44 PM

Help a Jeep Newbie on Lift vs. Tire Size

I was always a Chevy Blazer guy (full-size, 74-91), but recently acquired my Dad's '84 CJ7 and I really like it. It is 100% stock with 59K miles.

I want to put some larger tires on the CJ7, but I'm in a quandary ... help me out here. I want large tires, but I don't want to lift the truck much because I don't want the undesirable effects of a high center of gravity. This rules out 35" or larger tires.

So, what I need to know is:

What is the largest diameter tire that can go on an '84 CJ7 (leaf spring suspension) with a 2" lift and won't require any fender cutting and won't rub wheel wells during full articulation or in a tight turn?

I gather from many photos that 33" tires (i.e. BFG M/T's) will fit nicely with a 2" lift, but I am concerned that the tires may contact the wheel wells in certain situations. Will 33's work, or do I need to stick to 32's to avoid any rubs?

Also ... any recommendations of specific manufacturers for lift kits for the CJ7? Any particular kits you'd avoid?

Thanks...

Steve T.
Gilbert, Arizona

Rio_Grande 08-17-2004 11:52 PM

Re: Help a Jeep Newbie on Lift vs. Tire Size

Steve there are Cj guys that know more than I but we just put together a cj 5 running 4 inches of lift and 33's and I would not want to go any less lift on them than he has. No rub, but good articulation.

jeepin_duck 08-18-2004 12:05 AM

When I bought my CJ-7, it had a 2" suspension lift and 1" body, and fit 33" tires ok. They didn't rub or anything, but the springs on the jeep were so stiff that the wheels didn't travel at all! 32" will probably not have rubbing issues, will allow for a little more wheel travel than 33's stuffed in there, and will keep your gearing more favorable than the larger tires. Therefore, they might not be a bad idea.

As far as lift kits go, there's tons of opinions out there. I put a 4" BDS on the CJ in May, and it works pretty well--rides better than what it had before (I have no idea what brand of springs it had--there were about 10 leafs per pack, though!), and flexes way better. In fact, I can rub the fenders now if I push it, even with the higher lift, where before I couldn't get it to articulate that much. I have had good experience with Skyjacker kits, too--I think my brother's CJ w/ Skyjackers rides better than my jeep does now (I've put about 2000 miles on the BDS kit), and his springs were pretty soft right out of the box, where my BDS springs seem to need to break in.

FYI, my 4" kit was the same price as the 2", and as far as most kits go, there isn't a big price difference. Most people seem to want to go bigger later, anyway. So, you might consider going straight to the 4" kit and saving some money in the long run...just something to think about.

Good luck...

SilentBob2 08-18-2004 06:46 PM

I have the Pro-comp 2.5 lift springs and 1/2 longer shackles with 33x12.5 Thornbirds and the front tires rub a lot more than what I would like!!! I have plans for a SOA for my winter project.
If your wanting 33's you might want to go with a 4 inch lift!!! Thats a horrible sound when you know your fender is removing some of your tread!!