soft top woes.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 01:45 AM
runningamuck2003

soft top woes....

So I was driving down the freeway the other day, when the hardware that holds my soft top to the top of my windshield came ripping out... Was going about 70, it was a disaster. So now Im trying to figure out how to reattach the metal tab that holds down the top, so it wont happen again. The screw holes are too worn and large to hold the factory screws any longer. Im thinking that I could just buy bigger screws and hope it doesnt happen again. Any suggestions or experiences with this sort of thing out there? Thanks for the help
alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 01:59 AM

Re: soft top woes....

I had pretty much the exact same experience .. I ended up drilling 4 holes in the back of the windshield frame large enough to fit a small wrench through, and used some button head allen bolts with a washer on the inside to sandwich the frame, and track together.. It worked like a charm, and never had a problem since.. If you were to get really fancy, you could probobly find some rubber plugs the same size, and plug the holes afterwards to clean it up..

Justin.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 07:57 AM

There are plenty more options, depending on what you have available.

Larger screws will have more ultimate holding power.

You can weld the holes closed and redrill them.

You can move over an inch and make new holes, and add some more for good measure.

You can install Riv-Nuts and use machine screws. Riv-nuts are installed like Pop Rivets, but have machine threads in the barrel. You need a special tool to install them. Harbor Freight has the tool for about $16.00.

If you use sheet metal screws again, try this: Instead of drilling the hole, use a very sharp awl and a heavy hammer to punch the hole. Then work the awl into the hole to enlarge it to the proper size for the screw. That bends the metal in and leaves a lot more there for the screw threads to grab, giving it a lot more holding power. Sears has a Craftsman awl that I don't mind using as a punch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Way Outta Control

1. I love hard brake line...
2. I use it all the time for stuff.
3. This is one of those times.
4. Screws hold, but
5. Increase the hole size over time...
6. And you've read the result.
7. So, it's time to: <ul type="square">[*] Break out the welder[*]Cut yourself a 1/2" piece of 5/16" hard brake line ( it's now a tube).[*]Slightly flare one end of the tube.[*]Put a wooden plug into that end[*]Drill the windshield frame holes open to the OD of the tube.[*]drop the tube into the hole in the frame[*]The flare keeps the tube from falling into the frame[*]Tach weld the tube to the frame ( it's not as hard as it seems )[*]Now remove the plug.[*]Grind the tube and welds down flush with the windshield frame.[*] Paint to match.[*] Use a tap to thread that tube you've just welded in.[*]Now use bolts to hold down that metal.[*]You're done.[*] It's not likely to come apart again.[*]If you're uneasy about the bolts...[*]Use some MILD thread lock.[/list]8. And if you're like all <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84716);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84716);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84716);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84716);">Jeep</nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr> owners...
9. The fix is free,
10. Because you've got the extra parts,
11. Laying all over the garage!
12. Problem solved...
13. Now go have yourself a root beer. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. It was December, and I live in Vt, and when the windsheild chanel let go, the top started to flap around, and it took a lot of the other stuff with it. The top ripped, and most of the hardwear was a total loss. And it was COLD !
My insurance company actually covered the new top. When I put the new winsheild chanel on, I used about 3 times more screws than there were holes. (I just drilled new ones).

If you have the materials, and the means to weld, I would use Leve's Idea. Bolts will hold much better than screws.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode